21.

Chapter 21:

I woke up the next morning and started my normal Monday routine, which included my 8am Financial Management Class. I sighed as I rolled out my room and into the dark kitchen. Jared was smart enough to not schedule an early class this semester so I was on my own to brave the morning alone. I put on some coffee and went back into the bathroom to shower. I dried my hair and dressed quickly so I could make it to class on time. I grabbed my coffee and a yogurt to eat once I got there. I gathered my remaining school things and picked up my phone. I froze at the message that sat on the screen, received just seconds ago.

Olli: I can't wait until I come back. Can I call you today? After practice?

He wanted to talk. I just hope it was good things and not bad things.

To: Sure anytime after 1230 if that is okay. I just have homework to do today after classes. I probably won't leave the apartment once I'm back home.

Olli: 1ish it is then.

To: I'm sorry but running late for FM! I'll talk to you later! Have a good practice! J

I smiled at the hope of fixing this. I put my phone in my pocket and quickly started for the door with a smile on my face.

"I take it he texted you." Jared stopped me as I saw him pouring himself a coffee.

"We're gonna talk after I'm done with classes today."

"Okay, I'll keep myself scarce today until dinner time then. I can make chicken and rice if you want that later. I think we have everything."

"Thank you but I'll be in my room you can come home."

"And risk having to listen you to your mushy make up conversations that could progress to more...no thanks I'll hit the gym or something."

"Fine, but I have to go I can't be late incase I have to present first."

To say my morning drug on would be putting it lightly. I was anxious more for the phone call that awaited me following the classes than the presentation that was forty percent of my final grade. Numbers were my thing and reading off the tax return example and then my income bracket rationales were natural responses. It was muscle memory for me after four years of learning the background material. I aced it with minimal effort but as I sat through my classmates' speeches, my nerves built up. I don't think I have been this nervous in a while.

The already four-hour class finally ended at 1226, nearly a half an hour over because of each of us going long by a couple minutes. I was never going to make it back to my apartment in time if Olli called any earlier than planned. I nearly sprinted out of the room and into the hall in hopes of missing the lunch crowds that would be gathering. Sadly, the city streets were rather crowded as students and office workers flooded the small spaces in hopes of lunch or finding a food truck.

I weaved through as fast as humanly possible, with my phone on loud and in my hand incase he called before I reached my apartment. I made it to my building and let out my breath as I hit the elevator button. It was one o'clock on the dot, but I wasn't alarmed just yet. I reached my door and opened it to find the room dark, compliments of Jared, the little energy bug. I turned the light on in the kitchen and dropped my bags on the table. I went to the bathroom to check my appearance just in case he wanted to face time. I sat back down at the bar and causally watched my phone praying it would light up soon.

A few minutes later the call finally came. Olli's smiling face came up requesting a face time. I smiled before hitting the green telephone.

"Hello?" I asked checking the return screen so he could see me as well.

"Hey." He looked exhausted. I noted the dark circles under his eyes, which were rarely ever seen. Although, he looked relieved slightly since I spoke.

"Listen, Olli..."

"No, me first." He held up a finger.

"I am sorry for leaving you alone like that so soon without knowing more of the girls or preparing you for what their habits and lifestyles are. I hoped you would be comfortable with Cath and Vero but apparently I wasn't thinking things through. This is my fault... if you ever felt that you were not good enough for me...please know that you are. I like you so much because you are different. Yes, some of the guys are into all the glitz and glamour of high life but not me. I am okay with just simple things; that's what I was raised with in Finland. We weren't a high-class family, both of my parents work. I am more than happy with my beautiful intelligent college girl." I was speechless. I was expecting to have to explain myself ten times over but he felt he was the one at fault. I simply smiled.

"Thank you for understanding but I could have handled the stress better. I shouldn't have left like that without explaining."

"I was upset and scared I would not see you again. However, once I talked to Tanger and Cathy, and then listened to your voicemail, it made sense and I can't blame you. You were pale as a ghost and I could see the distress in your features."

"I was truly hyperventilating by the time I saw you and Tanger. Cathy didn't even really say anything hateful or intentional, it was just the words. She just made it seem like people may only like me because I was associated with you. That thought alone spiraled me out of control."

"No Lys, I won't let that happen. Because come May when you have graduated, I'll get to introduce you as my super hot girlfriend who also is a CPA."

"Woah there, I'll have my degree, but getting my CPA is another beast of it's own accord."

"So super hot Duquesne graduate girlfriend..." I blushed at his words but nodded.

"Is it okay to say I've missed you already?" I whisper.

"More than okay Lys, because I miss you too...like crazy. These past 24 hours have been hell even if it was because of my own stubbornness." I could still see sadness in his features.

"I know but you'll get to see me on Thursday right?"

"We'll be home early Thursday after the game, but we could do lunch or dinner."

"How about I make my boyfriend a nice dinner at my apartment and we can just relax." I said smiling.

"Sounds wonderful."

"You like pasta?"

"Yes."

"Then I have the perfect recipe in mind." I immediately thought of my family's recipe for sausage and tomatoes over pasta. Its healthy enough that it shouldn't interfere with his diet, I hope.

"I just can't wait to see you...hold you...maybe a couple kisses." I couldn't hold back my smiles at his suggestions. Dinner and cuddles on the couch sounded wonderful right now and suddenly, the remaining two days he would be away seemed like an eternity.