19) Alone

[Pat's PoV]

"I just told you. I'm Rachael. I'm also one of your mother's spies," For one fleeting moment I thought she meant my mom. My dark haired, blue eyed, cheerful mother. I remembered walking in on her as she was slowly dying. I was hardly nine years old when it happened. In her last moments she told me the story of a princess who met the price of a rival kingdom. They fell in love, so the story said, and were able to create peace between the kingdoms. It had been my favorite bedtime story for years and it was selfish of me to not have tried to help her more.

"What? How?" Jen's words shook me from my thoughts.

"I've been here for years, and so has Anthony. He's on patrol duty right now, but should get off soon. Leaving us all enough time to leave."

"What about the guard who went in the castle?" I said. "Also if you're working for the Queen why don't you just untie us?"

"You see..." Rachael's voice trailed off, "That's are issue. You two lovebirds still have to be captured and locked in the dungeons. Then that's where Anthony and I come in."

"What!!!" Jen yelled, "There's no way that would work! There are so many things that could go wrong."

"I know that." Rachael replied calmly, not fazed at all by Jen's outburst. "Thats why I kept these." She pulled out my diamond long sword along with Jen's scythe. She gave each of us back our respective weapon and they disappeared into our inventories. "I'm sorry but I'm going to have to gag you both again. Gotta keep my cover. You know?"

Not minutes after she finished tying the cloth around our heads did a swarm of guards came outside to take us to the dungeon. Four of them took me and Jen by the arms, one of them on each arm, and proceeded to half carry half drag us inside. While the other ten or so formed ranks around us. Eventually we reached the throne room where we were forced to kneel before my father.

"Jennifer Grace (I don't know her last name so just go with it) princess of the overworld..." My father's voice trailed off and he locked eyes with me, "and the reason for my son's betrayal." Then he spoke to the captain of the guard. "Take her to the dungeon and have your men leave. I need to have a word with my son. Alone."