20) Trick

[Pat's PoV]

The guards began to drag Jen away, we locked eyes for one fleeting moment. The rest of the guards left the throne room, but I knew they'd be right outside. My father stood and walked over to me. I knew not to try to stand up, I'd just fall over. He drew his sword... and broke the ropes binding me. I quickly untied the piece of fabric Rachael had hastily tied around my head and stood to face my father.

"You boy," He paused, "have been more useful than I thought you'd be." I stood in silence. "No questions? Well I must admit, even I didn't expect you to do so well in your mission. You were able to trick the princess into following you here. Heck. You even convinced me you had feelings for her."

"It wasn't a trick," The words were out before I could stop them.

"Excuse me?" My father looked stunned, "You actually love the girl?" He started laughing and not in a good way. "Well that complicates things, doesn't it? I guess I'll just have to kill her then."

"What?!"

"Do you need me to spell it out for you? I'm. Going. To. Kill. Her."

"No! You can't do that."

"Who says what I get to do and what I don't get to do? I guess I'll also have to make you watch. It will be fun to watch you see her die."

 Then before I could even process what he had said he was running at me. Sword drawn. Without thinking I pulled out my own sword and parried his attack. I could see the confusion on his face, but he quickly covered it up with a much more crazed look. He was a fast fighter, but I was just as quick. Our swords continued to clash in a whirlwind of blades. That is, until we heard the horrifying sound of metal cutting through armor and flesh...