12: Too Peeve to Say Palabras

"Como eres?" I said.

 "It's eeerrreessss," Jaqi said.

 I groaned. Speaking Spanish was so not my thing.

 Jaqi had invited me to her house and her parents did nothing but talk Spanish. And because I was a total flunk in Spanish, Jaqi had now offered to teach me and relearn what I missed.

 "And that's...how are you?" I asked.

 Jaqi nodded. "Good. Ok, como es tu mama?"

 "Mi mama es muy bien. Ella es fea."

 Jaqi laughed.

 "What?" I said. "That means she's happy right?"

 "Um, try again," Jaqi said. "More like felize."

 I rolled my eyes. "It's pointless. Why am I even going through Spanish again? It's not like I'm going to use it. I mean, I live in America."

 "What if you come across another person who speaks Spanish?" Jaqi asked. "You do know that you're going to have to be prepared or else you're going to look stupid."

 "Well, can't they learn English as a second language?" I asked, already defeated by the fact that I failed at Spanish.

 "You know you can practice if you just speak it a little a day," Jaqi said. "That way, you can then speak Spanish like nothing. It's like reading, some people don't like it but others can pick up a book like nothing. Only if you give it a try, next thing you know, you'll be reading like nothing."

 "Ok," I said. "Hola, yo soy Selinea. Tu eres?"

 "Mi nombre es Jaqi," Jaqi said. "Quein es tu prima?"

 "Jaqi!" Jaqi's mother called up the stairs.

 Jaqi spoke back to her in Spanish. They talked back and forth.

 Finally Jaqi turned her head back to me. "I have to pick my cousin up. We're going to a family reunion tomorrow. Wanna come?"

 "Sure," I said.

 We went to Jaqi's car and drove off to get her cousin.

 "So, your having a family reunion?" I asked.

 "Yep," Jaqi said. "It's suppose to be a majority of uncles, aunts, greats and plenty of cousins. One of them lives down here. He's going to stay with us so that way we can drive him to the reunion."

 "What's his name?"

 "Eddie."

 "Cool. Does he have a profession?"

 Jaqi sighed. "Well, Sel...there's something I have to tell you."

 "What's that?"

 "I mean, I'm not sure what you're going to say about him but...let's just say you're probably not going to like him."

 "Why not?"

 "Because he does something that...well, it's something that....it's hard to explain but..."

 She pulled over to a parking space. "What are you trying to say?"

 Jaqi picked at her keys. "You see, Sel...he's..."

 "Jaqi!"

 A guy with sleek black hair came up to the car of Jaqi's door. He was wearing a black shirt with a purple jacket and glasses. "Que paso, chica?"

 He slapped Jaqi's hand.

 I gasped. No....

 The guy turned to me. "Who's this? Que es su nombre?"