19: He Tries Too Hard

His dark orbs stayed fixated on me. I felt my breath hitched at the back of my throat as I looked away.

My chest rose and fell erratically at the close proximity between us. It has been quite a long time since he touched me in a loving way.

But, I know that he was just trying to confuse me.

"Are you letting me go?" I asked, my voice hoarse from dehydration.

"No, I am not letting you go again." I tensed at his words, closing my eyes in disbelief.

"No matter how hard you try, it's not going to work between us." I snarled, pushing him off my body as I stood up.

I moved past the bed to the armchair and picked up my coat. Winter was coming and I needed that, especially when it has been raining every now and then.

If not for the seasonal rain, I wouldn't have got caught in the rain and caught a flu. It just made things worse, especially when he took care of me this whole time.

What was I thinking? I could have gotten an umbrella or something.

"Babe." He said, latching his hand on my arm to stop me.

I stayed in the same position with my back still faced him.

"Let me explain, I am not going to let you go again." He whispered earnestly while I rolled my eyes in response.

"Too late." I stated coldly, removing his hand from my arm as I left the room.

++++

I followed behind him, taking down notes while the contractor continued to speak.

He predicted that the completion of this project might be delayed until next year which also meant that more costs would be incurred since the project was already facing issues.

My eyes stayed fixated on his tensed back as he listened attentively to the contractor.

After that day, he has been cooped up in his office, working his ass off all day long.

It was only on rare occasions did he come out of that hell hole.

When he tried to strike a conversation with me while checking through the files, I would cut him off with many excuses.

The only contact between us was when I needed him to sign the files or when he needed me to prepare a meeting.

And the meetings these days became very common. The board of directors were concerned with this project as it would drag the company down.

And they were constantly requesting meetings with the boss. This made me incredibly busy and worn out.

I continued to take down notes until the contractor was finally done with his observations.

"Natalie, get the chauffeur to prepare my car in five minute's time." He said, not looking at me.

I nodded, keeping my notes as I called the chauffeur. Turning back to boss, I motioned towards the carpark.

"The car is ready." I said, chucking my phone back to my bag.

"I need a few words with the contractor, you head there first." He said, turning back to the contractor once more as he engrossed himself in a heavy conversation.

I sighed, walking ahead first where the chauffeur was already waiting for us.

As he opened the door for me, he murmured something that stopped me dead in my tracks.

"I can see that he is in love with you, he doesn't want to admit that he has feelings for you."

I shook my head in disbelief, "I find it too hard to believe."

And I got into the car and waited for him to arrive. While I waited, I thought of his words.

If he has feelings for me, why was he avoiding me in the first place? Why would he not want to admit that he has feelings for me?

He was a man whom I can never figure out what he's truly thinking.

That makes him even more dangerous.

++++

Vote. Comment. Share

Enjoying this book? Add this book to your library and your reading list.

25th October 2016