The Game of Love Chapter 3

Leon:

She immediately fell off her chair out of shock. I wanted to laugh along with every student in the classroom, but the glare in her eyes prevented me from doing so. Still on the floor, Sarah stammered with that surprised look on her face, “What—what do you mean by that?”

“I mean,” I repeated, clarifying what I just said, “I want you to love me.”

After a moment of awkward silence, she held a disgusted look on her face, and nearly broke out in laughter. Well that’s a first I’ve ever seen her smile or laugh. God damn she’s cute. “Wait, you expect me to love you?” she asked in between her laughs. “Yeah right, that’ll never happen!”

I sigh, shaking my head. “Give me a good reason why,” I demanded.

Rolling her eyes—a natural habit of hers I noticed—she replied in a harsh tone, “Did you not hear that little speech I had at lunch?”

I got on my knees, leveled with her, leaning closer to make her feel uncomfortable. Her reaction only made me laugh. “Believe me when I say I’ve changed.”

Raising her brow, she asked, “Changed? Changed? You expect me to believe that? Tell me why.” Arms folded, she waited for an answer. That was when I leaned closer so that our faces were much closer, causing her to lose balance and fall flat on her back.

Following her, I leaned over, but before I could bother to tease her any further, Mrs. Atteburry scolded, “No amorous behavior in my room, please. Class is about to begin. Mr. Ferron, I expect you to go back to your seat. That is, unless you’d like to sit next to Miss Winrey”—

“No!” Sarah yelled.

Of course that’s what she’d say, and I slightly laughed to myself. Then I interrupt, “Actually, I like that idea. Thank you, Mrs. Atteburry.” Sarah turned to me with her infamous glare, causing me to smile. Oh, if only she knew what I really thought of her all this time.

Getting all my books, the girls all looked at me, astounded expressions on their faces. “Why do you want to sit with her? She’s so…uneventful…” spat Laurie in disgust.

I merely shrug, holding a smirk on my face as I replied, “Well, she’s my childhood buddy, isn’t that right, Sarah?” Her ignoring only had me roll my eyes and sigh. “I’ve known her longer, so I might as well do some catching up with her.”

“Fine,” huffed Laurie and the rest of her friends took their seat as I made my way next to Sarah.

Just as I took my seat, she whipped around, facing me as she threatened, “If you pull any weird tricks, I swear I’ll make you regret it.” Honestly, that serious face never affected me that much. Besides, she can’t make me regret it, because I’ll be the one to throw her off.

Sarah:

Seriously, Leon has been nothing but weird. Maybe he has changed? Nah…he’s still a jerk—but not in the way he used to be. And what was he trying to do to me earlier? He was practically pinning down, and his face was so close to mine I could feel his breath. Leon is just throwing me off, I’m sure. Still, I don’t know what his intentions are.

Throughout Mrs. Atteburry’s stupid lecture, Leon kept glancing my way, which annoyed me as always. Tapping his pencil on his desk to, get my attention, only resulted in him getting scolded by Mrs. Atteburry. What an idiot. Even so, ignoring him being next to me, later on didn’t stop me from wondering about what he was trying to imply when he said he wants me to love him.

Before I knew it, the bell already rung, and Leon was standing right next to me, an expectant look on his face. “Come on, stop daydreaming, Blondie,” he said impatiently. “We’ve got AP Calc, right?” Gathering my books, I brushed past him, not caring if he was going to follow me to my locker. I swear, hearing him say “we” made me shudder, but I didn’t show it. I bet he could already guess my reactions.

When he wouldn’t leave, I slammed my locker door shut, Calculus textbook in hand as well as my binder and pencil pouch. “Shouldn’t you get your supplies for Calc?” asked I irritably. Rolling his eyes, he turned to the locker across from mine. “Uh…” I began, “why do you have your locker here?”

Shrugging, he answered, “It was assigned here. It’s just plain luck that my locker happened to be here.” Turning back to me, he wrapped an arm around my waist. “Back to our talk, you said you wanted a reason? I’ll give you a reason.”

Before he could bring his face closer to mine, I roughly push him away, hastily making my way to my next class. No…he’s only toying with me. He’s trying to get in my head…I thought frantically. That’s when I run into Leanne, Sophia, and Seth, and tell them everything.

* * * *

 “No—freaking—way!” screamed Sophia out of excitement. “Oh my God, did he seriously say that?!” I nodded dreadfully. “You know what that means?”

“He’s trying to manipulate me and toy with my emotions,” I abruptly say as I notice Leon coming across the corner.

“Uh…no!” argued Sophia. “What’s wrong with you, Sarah? Since when did you become all dense?”

“Look, let’s just talk about this later,” I hurriedly say, rushing off to my next class. That’s when I felt Seth’s hand grip my wrist. “What is it? I have to get away from him.”

“I know, I know…but it’s just, maybe you should pay closer attention to the way he looks at you. And I mean, really pay attention; you might notice some things. I’m just telling you in advance,” he informs.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” asked I, confused.

Kissing me on the forehead, startling me, he mutters, “You’ll find out soon enough. Catch you later.” Right then he rushed over down the hall to English.

Before I reached my AP Calc class, a voice stops me. Groaning in irritation, I turn around to see none other than Leon. “What was that for? You just push me off? What woman—no—what little girl does that?”

I took a deep breath, replying through gritted teeth, “You were about to pull a move on me. I don’t want that, especially from someone I hate.” Just what was Seth trying to say? I mean, pay attention to the way he looks at me? He sees me as none other than some play toy. I don’t see anything different.

Leon:

“You hate me?” asked I, acting surprised.

Rolling her eyes, Sarah retorted, “Of course I hate you! Do I have to repeat myself?! Jeez, you just love to mess with me don’t you? You enjoy my pain…” Just as she entered class, me following her, the thoughts I wish she could hear kept repeating in my mind. I love to mess with you because I love you… Excuse me if I suck at trying to show it…Thinking about that, I realize what a stupid excuse that was.

Sarah’s always hated me, of course, and that was because the way I tried to get her attention always ended up in her getting hurt, or she just gets pissed off. She misunderstands me, but that’s how I am. And when she wouldn’t pay any attention to me, I reach my limit and end up hurting her. Sadistic much, yes, I am. Yeah…my methods were over the top… At least I learned how to control my insanity after I got expelled. Seriously, if I wasn’t in school when I saw that Seth guy kiss Sarah on the forehead, I would’ve lost it. Am I jealous? Yeah…very much so, and obviously I’m aware of it. If you’re asking, ending up in the same high school with her was pure coincidence.

Meeting again, what I want is for her to love me. I get that she won’t fall for me that easily, but someday she will realize that she’s mine and only mine. Someday she will love me. And I’ll use any method possible to let that happen.

So let the game of love begin…