The Game of Love Chapter 34

Sarah:

Seth called hours later. Judging by the tone of his voice, he already loves it there in New York. I always knew he would—always as in since he first told me he was moving. Of course, he did miss us, but his amusement in the city was conspicuous. I said that I wished I was there to see what it really looks like—how it feels to be there. However I’m cooped up in San Diego—and I’m more content being here than anyplace else. This has been my home for eight years.

Leon was at his apartment; I’m in my room, just hung up from my call with Seth, and about to call Leon when he coincidentally calls me first. “Hey,” I greeted.

“Hey.” After an excruciatingly long pause, he asks, “Look, I know it’s not really proper to take you out after Seth left and all. I know you’re still a little down that he’s left, but is it okay if we just go somewhere tonight?”

I looked at the clock on my wall and noted, “It’s almost eleven.”

“So?”

“So…it’s really not a good idea. It’s getting late.”

“Then do you not mind me coming over?” he offered.

I sighed, “If you’re just going to come over every night, then what was the point in getting your own apartment?”

Leon took a moment to consider this before answering simply, “Good question. But I still want to go somewhere with you.”

“Hmm…can you let it wait?”

He groaned irritably, “Why?”

“Please?” I started to act tired, yawning casually, “I’m tired…so goodnight.”

“Ha-ha,” he laughed sarcastically, “nice try.” Damn it…I thought. “Fine though, I’ll wait.”

“Thank you,” I said into the phone teasingly before hanging up.

I can’t help but wonder why Leon hasn’t asked me to be his girlfriend yet. For one thing, the scheduling of his working shifts aren’t as tight as before; for another thing, it’s been out of a relationship for more a little more than two weeks. I mean, I understand that he’s just being considerate—I could ask him to be my boyfriend, but it just doesn’t seem right when a girl asks. Then again, I could already guess his answer: My best friend has just left, so he’s going to give me some space until I don’t have anything else troubling my mind so greatly.

I swear, sometimes his consideration really pisses me off—especially in these types of situations. What happened to the persistent, selfish Leon that I once hated? I guess he grew up—matured a little. But it’s true, I do need some space; Seth’s gone, but I’m still not ready to accept that. Everyday, everything will seem out of place without him. Leon’s waiting for me to adjust to these changes so that he won’t have to listen to my “I miss Seth” talks. He wants our relationship to be normal. Well, depending on what you call normal in a relationship. Still, I wish he’d hurry up already.

* * * *

Time goes by fast. I’m only saying that because it’s already February 14, Valentine’s Day. It feels like just yesterday that Seth left. But recently, I’ve grown accustomed to his absence. Sure, it’s easy to feel lonely when you’re best friend isn’t around—especially when you want to talk about a particular topic that you only discuss with that person. I swear, I’m talking to a wall—ranting—every night. I’d turn to Leon, but he’s busy with his jobs sometimes; plus, some of the subjects I’d talk about would just make things awkward. Nothing’s the same when I explain it to Lee and Soph. It’s one of those lonely times where you really need you’re best friend.