The Game of Love Chapter 15

Sarah:

After another two weeks of tolerating this bullshit I’m going through, I decide on having a surprise visit to Damien’s place. As much as I didn’t want to, I had to get information from Leon to know which university he attends. To my surprise, he’s an artist and he attends San Francisco Art Institute. Since I had no idea where that was, to my utter resentment, I had to have Leon drive me there. I so knew I should’ve bought that GPS three months ago when I had enough money. But no, I just had to get swayed and buy a new phone. Excuse me if at the time I started to forget about Leon Ferron completely.

Sitting in the car with Leon made me anxious. After all, I’m afraid that he’ll pull a move on me after I break it off between Damien and me. At the same time, the look on his face showed that he’s not going fool around. Honestly, it took some time to lie to my parents, telling them that I’ll be heading out of town with my friends without arousing any suspicion. After I had done so, I headed into Leon’s car, and right now, there’s nothing but an awkward silence between us.

Hours of riding a car with Leon was boring since we had nothing to talk about—mainly because he knows just how much I don’t want to talk to him. Then again, I just wish he’d turn on the damn radio instead of listening to my sighs and breathing as a replacement of it. That’s when I turn to him, asking, “Can you please turn on the radio? The silence is killing me.”

“Oh…sorry…I didn’t realize it,” he said in response. I raised a brow as he turned it on, raising the volume just a tad bit. Seriously, how can anyone not notice that the radio isn’t on after like two hours?

After a minute or two, I got a text from Seth:

Where r u?

Oh crap…hopefully he’s not at my house—otherwise I’d be in huge trouble. I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself down when another message came.

Ur parnts rn’t home, but I figured tht w/ ur car parked in the driveway, u’d b home. I rang the doorbell a few times but I didn’t get an answr. Where r u? I’m worried…

Okay…there’s some relief since my parents aren’t home. Then again, with Seth worried sick about me as always, I feel guilty not telling him. So in reply, I texted:

I’m out of town bcuz I hav to settle things w/ Damien in San Francisco.

Is any1 w/ u or r u by urself?

Leon’s driving me there…

I admit that I felt dreadful telling him this. Even that long pause before he responded showed that he’s nothing but shocked.

Wat u cnt be serious!

Well…it’s tru. I hav no GPS nd Leon’s the only 1 who knows where the university is located. Dnt worry…it doesn’t seem like he’ll do anythn to me. Look…I’ll explain evrythn 2 u latr whn I get back…okay?

Mk

Just like that, our conversation was over. I swear though, the pit of my stomach was in knots—if that even makes sense. Noticing Leon take glances at me, I answered before he could ask, “It was Seth.”

Simply, he nodded before he said in return, “Of course it was Seth…” He said it with such a straight face; I wasn’t sure if he meant that in a scornful way, or if he’s jealous. I found it hard to believe that it’s the latter. “So what did he want?”

“He was worried…so he asked where I was and what I’m up to,” I replied bluntly. Again, he nodded.

“Well isn’t he sweet,” he muttered flatly.

“Of course he is. He always looks out for me—we’re best friends after all.”

Leon raised a brow. “Just best friends, huh?” Confused slightly, I cocked my head to the side, but he shook his head, dismissing it. “How did you two meet anyway?”

Thinking back to eight years ago, laughing at the memory, I replied, “I accidentally fell on him when I got off the swing.”

“What?!” he asked, amused since he had that trace of laughter on his face. Turning to me, I nodded to confirm that what I said was the truth.

“It was recess…um…it was like my first day there and he wasn’t in my classes then. I went on the swings and I decided to do that trick where you’re up in the air and you jump from the swing.” Before I could continue, I started bursting out laughing.

“Hey, tell me the rest of the story!” Leon demanded as he laughed.

“Okay, okay. When I did that, I then noticed that a boy was beneath me, and I fell on him. Much to my guilt, I broke his arm. I admit he did hate me for that.”

“Oh really, so how did you two end up being friends?” he asked curiously.

“Well…I always kept apologizing about what I did. Honestly, he was getting fed up with me, but it was when I made up for the accident I caused that made him want to befriend me.”

“What did you do?”

“Hmm…” I began, “after he got his cast, I carried all his stuff for him. Also—since he’s right-handed and it was that arm that was broken—I helped do schoolwork for him. I even visited his house often to check up on him.”

“Was he annoyed by your frequent visits?”

I sighed as I nodded. “He even yelled at me for being such a pest. I cried when he said that. Here I am trying to repay the damages I’ve caused and in return he tells me to get lost.”

“Now I’m really starting to wonder who you two became friends.”

“When I stopped caring for him, he started to feel guilty, and when I was sick one time, he pretty much demanded his mom to come visit me. After doing so, he came to my house, apologized, and we just started having normal conversations from then on. We became friends, and eventually when it came to middle school he started to be some sort of protector. Like he was so protective of me and if anyone messed with me, he’d be willing to look for a fight. So many of our schoolmates would notice that between us and they always insist that we date, but I always told them that we’re just best friends.”

“How did Seth react to that?” Leon asked. I merely shrugged. “Other than you two being really close friends, why do you think he’s so caring towards you?” When I tilt my head in slight confusion, he shakes his head. “Never mind,” he dismisses. “What about the other two…uh…Leanne and Sophia?” questioned Leon.

“We just met, had a conversation, and immediately we were friends,” I replied.

Just as our discussion was coming to a close, we were already at the university building. Getting out of the car, I notice Leon heading the other direction. “Where are you going?” I asked.

“Well…you kind of have to handle this yourself, right?” When I slowly nod, he heads across the street, while I head inside the building.

Once inside, I look around to find Damien, instead, I just find stranger students with masterpieces in hand. Well don’t they make me feel inferior? As I’m making my way around, some people have been giving me strange looks. Yeah, I know I’m not from here so please look the other way and pretend I’m not here, please.

Making a turn around a corner, I find Damien making out with some light-brown haired girl. While there is a small ache in my chest, I already knew that everything was too good to be true. I mean, why would a college student date a high school student? Well, me specifically.

Damien’s eyes opening, he notices me and he’s immediately in a panic. Glaring at him, arms folded across my chest, foot tapping, I raise a brow as I’m waiting for their make out session to be over. That’s when I say loud enough for him to here, “We’re so over Damien Ferron!” Turning on my heel, I walk away. That’s right you bastard, you just got dumped from a high school student.