The Game of Love Chapter 17

Sarah:

Christmas: food, presents, joy, and lastly…mistletoe. Oh yeah, there’s plenty of mistletoe when it comes to my family. Don’t get the wrong idea; they just love to have fun (sometimes). Here I was, sitting on my couch lazily, feet propped up on Seth’s lap as he, Leanne, Sophia, and I hung around in my room, listening to Christmas carols. In the background we could hear the cheerful laughter and the thunderous boom of laughter from our relatives (i.e. the adults). Even with the door closed and us being at the end of the hall, on the second floor, the noise emanating from them wouldn’t drown out.

Other than the music and our loud relatives, we were completely silent. In the end, Leanne, was the first to speak. “Well…let’s just hope we turn out like them…agreed?” she brought up in a half-joking, half-serious tone. Laughing slightly, we nodded.

“So…what do you guys want to do?” asked Sophia. One after another, Leanne, Seth, and I shrugged as Sophia’s scanned over us. Turning to the radio, she jams the off button with her fist.

“That’s my radio…you do realize that, right?” I asked with an accusing tone in my voice with brows raised.

Smiling innocently, she followed with a nervous laugh, saying in between, “I’m sorry. I’m just so bored.”

“Well…” Seth began, twisting his lips as he thought. “We could just go down and get some food. How’s that? We haven’t eaten yet.”

The four of us looking at each other in agreement, we left my room to the dining room, the long table that’s extended from one side of the wall to the other filled with all kinds of food. What I had my eyes set on was definitely that mouthwatering ham sitting right by the turkey. Honestly, in my opinion, when it comes to food, Christmas is like a second Thanksgiving.

Filling our plates, we headed back up to my room, eating as we conversed about relationships. “So you’re going out with Jake?” I asked, somehow surprised that she’s not all over Leon like a creeper anymore.

“I know…about time right?” she replied, a wide grin on her face.

“What happened to your obsession with ‘Mr. Sex God’?” Seth asked mockingly, a mischievous smirk evident on his face.

Sophia waved her hand off, uttering a “pshh” as she had done so. Translation: Whatever; like I ever had an obsession to begin with. God, she can be so in denial. Either that or she’s just too…Sophia Langley to even have the word “obsessed” in her vocabulary. “In case you haven’t noticed,” Sophia argued defensively, “I’ve been in love with Jake for a long time!”

“So what you’re really trying to say is that, since you know you can’t attain Leon, you decide to just be in a relationship, with whatever ‘hot’ guy you can find?” Knowing he figured her out, she pursed her lips, eyes glaring daggers at him. Seth, Leanne, and I only laughed at her expression.

“Shut up!” she snapped. “Besides…I know he loves someone else…” She shoots me a look, and I stiffen.

My eyes widened, jaw dropped slightly. Suddenly, I bolt from my seat, arguing in a shrill voice, “He doesn’t love me! How many fucking times do I have to get that through to your head?” Then I felt Seth’s hands on my shoulders, calming me down.

“Oh, stop it, Sarah,” Sophia muttered coldly. “You’re denying it. I know that you know just how he really feels about you. Stop denying it. You suck at doing that, you know? It’s so obvious that Leon is madly in love with you.”

“Well it’s not that easy to know just how he feels with that bipolar personality of his. If he wasn’t so fucked up, then I’d know his real feelings. Besides, why does it matter? I hate him.” I gagged at the thought of him.