The Game of Love Chapter 30

Sarah:

It’s been a week since Seth and I broke up. And just like we promised, we didn’t let it come between us—it didn’t get awkward. Everything’s back to the same old, same old. Well, I wouldn’t say that exactly since Seth’s been out and about doing some part-time jobs. I had this gut feeling that it’s because he’s working out the heartbreak and stress—it’s never easy getting over the one you love. In this case, I might be Seth’s first love, which makes things harder.

It worries me…a lot…but he just tells me to forget it, that I shouldn’t fuss over something like this. The worrisome best friend, that’s me. Eventually, after a few days, it became a daily thing with Seth just being in my two classes, hanging out during lunch, and him leaving right before the last period ends.

As for Leon, I have no idea what the hell he’s been up to; after school, he’s always leaving without a word telling me where he’s going. He’s just…gone. It’s only around late night that I hear him enter the house. Every other night, he’d put up this sweet gesture move of coming to my room (that I keep forgetting to lock) and would simply stroke my hair and watch me sleep. Of course, he’d be more open with his actions now that he’s confessed to me. It is funny how I’m always awake to fall asleep to the feel of his fingers brush my hair. It seems that I’m constantly waiting for him to return here; every time I hear those footsteps coming back, I feel relief enter my system.

Despite the stillness and silence, me keeping the steady rhythm of my breathing, we have an unspoken conversation—it’s as though Leon knows I’m awake, waiting for him to put me at ease and fall asleep to his touch. The question still arises in me: Why isn’t Leon bothering to ask me out, kiss me, or pull any sorts of moves on me? That’s what I had intended to ask earlier today, but he’s already left for whatever errand he’s running.

The time is around nine at night, and just when I’ve finished showering, my hair damp with the scent of my fruity shampoo and sweet body wash, I realize just what I’ve forgotten—my pajamas, underwear, and bra. Yeah, it’s one of those times where before, during, or after the shower that you remember your clothes. I groaned in aggravation. You’ve got to be kidding me.

Anyway, I squeeze the water out my hair, dry off myself, wrap my baby blue colored towel around myself, and walk down the hall to my room. The draft was freezing to me, and I wanted nothing more than to step back into that warm—nearly hot—shower. Not wanting the chill to sink into my any further, nor did I want anymore wet droplets to wet the carpet floor; I hurriedly rush to the drawer in my room, looking for my pajamas.

“Forget something?” I heard a familiar voice ask.

I jolted at the sound of Leon’s voice. I dropped my pajamas and lingerie to the floor, nearly losing the grip I had on the towel I had wrapped around me. Hearing him chuckle at my reaction, I whipped around to glare at him, but when I remember I’m pretty much naked underneath the towel, I feel my face redden. “God, don’t scare me like that,” I practically yelled at him. Noticing him ogling me, I snapped, “Hey, perv, stop staring!”

Leon gaze immediately met mine; when he smirked out of amusement, I pursed my lips, about to throw a fit in front of him. “Well you’re early,” I managed to say.

“My errands ended a little early,” he responded simply.

Right as I’m putting myself into defensive mode while he’s walking closer to me, I realize that he’s only picking up the clothes I dropped. When he held up my bra, I was about to die right on the spot of embarrassment—especially when he showed that stupid smirk of his. “You’re a 36B?”

I snatched my bra out of his hand, face completely red. “Don’t just pull out a girl’s bra and say things like that, stupid!”

“It’s not much to show,” he teased.