The Game of Love Chapter 11

Sarah:

“What?!” exclaimed I, completely astounded by these words. Mr. Daven turned to me, asking in a scolding tone:

“Is there something you’d like to say, Sarah? What part of this lesson confuses you?” When I shook my head, he said, “Well don’t blurt things out during class, and keep quiet.”

After a moment, I turned my attention to Leon. “I’m not your girlfriend and I never will be,” I whispered in a harsh tone.

His grip on my hand tightened as he said in return, “You are now.”

“I never agreed to this!” I argued, my voice starting to rise, but I keep it at low volume. “Why are you doing this to me? Are you doing this to humiliate me?” When he shook his head, I was about to continue questioning him when he replied:

“I’m not letting anyone have you. You’re mine and only mine.”

My face contorted, completely disgusted. “I don’t belong to anyone, not even you. Besides, if we are going out right now, then I call for an immediate break-up.”

Leon shook his head. “I’m not letting that happen.”

“Ugh!” I exclaimed in complete irritation. Mr. Daven turned to me again, but I mouthed a “sorry” and once he returned to the lesson, my attention shifted back to Leon. “Why do you have to be so possessive? Besides, I bet you’d abuse me if we’re in a relationship.”

Leon shook his head vigorously. “No, I wouldn’t.”

“Well you’re practically abusing me now as a person; you’re just the same bully like before.” Rolling my eyes, I focused back on my notes, wishing he’d just disappear and that Seth was next to me like he’s always been, but no—it just won’t happen. When he wouldn’t stop staring, I muttered, “Fine…then I’ll cheat on you.”

“Are you even capable of being unfaithful? Honestly, if you do that, I’ll seriously kill you.” Scribbling my notes, he added, “Not scared of me, are you?” When I nod, he shakes his head disapprovingly as he muttered under his breath, “You’re an idiot.”

By the time class was over, I confronted Leon at his locker. “Look…I don’t want to be your girlfriend!” The fact that he was acting hurt was starting to annoy me. But at the back of my head, it seemed like he really was hurt. “Also, what did you mean by you didn’t want to let anyone have me?”

“Exactly what I said is what I mean,” he replied. I sighed, folding my arms across my chest. “Please Sarah?”

“No,” I said abruptly.

“You’re still my girlfriend though”—

“No!” I yelled, fed up with him and his teasing and shit like that. “Don’t you get it? I hate you! You’re only doing this because you want to ruin my life like always. I know exactly how this is going to work out. First you treat me like a real girlfriend, then you go off and spread a rumor that you and I did it even though we didn’t—and I never would with you. Next, you’d tell everyone in the school that I’ve been cheating on you, causing everyone to hate me. After that, I bet you’d spread a rumor that I’m carrying your baby! That would result in everyone calling me a slut, and when they notice that my tummy is bulging out, they’ll call me a murderer for getting an abortion! Yeah right, I’d never abort a baby. And like I said, why would I have sex with you?”

Leon tilted his head up, taking deep breaths as he tries to get himself to explain. When he looks at me, giving a stern stare, he said seriously, “For one thing, you’re not even close to what my actual intentions are. I’m really not doing this to ruin your life, I promise. Plus, I’m not doing this to get in your pants.”