The Game of Love Chapter 28

Leon:

Everything I do—everything I say only ends in a hot mess. No matter how many times I try, to do everything right, I only end up ruining it. Each time I wanted to apologize, take back everything I said, and make things better between us—Sarah and me. However, words of cruelty would only escape my lips, my apology and confession left off unspoken as always.

Why couldn’t I ever do anything right? It’s like fate—or whatever it is—is trying to tell me that we’re not meant to be. Yeah, like I didn’t need to notice that a gazillion times already. What I don’t understand the most is why, for eight years, I didn’t bother to date other girls to get over her. It could’ve been simple: Forget her and just enjoy the company of a woman or two…maybe three. Seriously…no matter how hard I tried, while I was away from her, to settle for a different girl, the only one I could only ever see was Sarah. That’s one of the few reasons why I didn’t exactly date in my middle school and previous high school years.

What I longed for all those years was her—despite my hope on meeting her again dwindling. The chances were so slim, but I couldn’t get over her. It was chance—possibly fate—and I felt lucky to meet her once again. She hardly changed, and I liked that. Sarah became much more breathtakingly gorgeous. When I looked over at her the first day, I immediately knew it was her; I was overjoyed to see her again. Of course, being the douche I am, I only gave off the wrong impression.

I wanted Sarah… I so definitely want her—so bad… The longing just plain kills me inside. The feel of her touch, her lips on mine, the sound of her voice, the sight of her perfect smile, the gravitational pull I feel whenever I look into her sky blue eyes. Not only that, but her amiable personality, the fact that she will go out of her way to help anyone, and the fact that—despite her attempts—she can never hate anyone. She’s just too sweet of a person; I don’t deserve her one bit.

It simply clicked into my mind: Seth is perfect for her. He’s the extremely toned down version of me. He’s not a jerk—he’s the typical sweet and sensitive guy that most girls wish for. As for me, I’m the total jerk and “bad-boy” (though I really am not), and I just suck at trying to be sweet and sensitive without unintentionally hurting her with the words I’d speak afterwards. I couldn’t be her boyfriend—we’d end up shouting at each other, bickering—while Seth could just be the perfect boyfriend.

Heaving a sigh, I turned in my bed so my face would face down on the pillow. That’s when I hear the doorbell. Knowing that Sarah’s parents left for a while, I decide to get the door instead. First, I checked on her in her room—which I was surprised to find unlocked and wide open. Where had she gone? Heading downstairs, I peeked out the window to see her two best friends, Leanne and Sophia.

Once I open the door, Sophia gave off a quick, hyper, and friendly wave while Leanne just put up a polite smile as they walked in. As soon as they entered the house, I notified them, “Sarah’s not here.”

Sophia pouted. “Where could she be?”

“Beats me,” I sighed, but I could already sense where she’s gone—Seth’s house. I mean, come on, after what happened between us not too long ago? She’s bound to have gone off to Seth and talk about what just happened. “What are ya‘ll doing here?”

The two gave off a shrug. “Well,” began Leanne, “she just wanted to clarify things with Sarah.” I didn’t bother to ask since it wasn’t any of my business. Plus, I pretty much had an idea that it had to do with her and Seth. Examining me with concern, Leanne asked, “Hey, are you okay?”

I gave a nonchalant shrug, head hung low as my eyes drooped to the floor. “Yeah, I’m fine,” I replied casually. When I looked out the window, I saw Sarah walking back here, so I waved the two off as I head off into my room. “Well, just relax until she gets here.”