The Game of Love Chapter 27

Sarah:

Why the hell did I even bother? Whatever, I didn’t need to hear the same answer twice. But I just doubted his reply for some reason. Even he noticed my disbelief towards such. All I could get out of my system was, “You’re such a jackass. You know, if you don’t love me, then just stop teasing and playing around. Leave me alone. Stop giving me the wrong idea.” That’s when I push him out the door, slam it shut behind him, and flop on my bed, turning my phone on to text Seth.

Hey, Seth, get me out of the house…

Why, something wrong?

Just pick me up. I’ll fill you in later.

All right, give me about ten minutes, okay?

Yeah, okay…

Funny how he comes right at my doorstep in exactly ten minutes, but that’s Seth for you. Opening my door, I knew that the first question I’d be asked was “Are you okay?” but I didn’t want to talk about it here, so I drag him outside, letting him drive me to some place—I didn’t really care where. We ended up at his place.

* * * *

In his room, I flopped on his bed, inhaling his scent that was all too familiar to me. I can’t really describe it, but I just know it’s his scent. Seth placed a hand on my head, stroking my hair as he asked, “What’s wrong?”

I gave a shrug and a groan, not particularly wanting to talk about this since I realized that tiny detail I felt wasn’t a good idea mentioning. If I’m going to talk about this, I’d have to tell him that Leon said he loves me—and twice today, he told me that it was the alcohol speaking. It may not seem that bad to talk about it, but if I seriously talked to him about this, it’d indicate that I was bothered with the fact that Leon doesn’t love me. Not something you’d want to mention to your boyfriend.

Seriously though, why do I care in the first place? I didn’t want to answer that question. It’s so easy, but I don’t want it to get to me. Why the hell does it matter? I love Seth….right? Great, now I doubt it. This can’t be a good sign at all. When Seth asks again what’s wrong, I veer off the topic, sitting up, replying a little too cheerily, “Oh, nothing’s wrong!”

Seth raised a brow. “You said that you’d fill me in on details; something must’ve happened. And it’s got to do with Leon?” I nodded. “No wonder. So what happened?”

Vehemently shaking my head, I answer quickly, and the words sounding all mush together, it sounding more like:

“NothinghappenedwhatmakesyouthinkanythinghappeneditsnotanythingbadSethsodon’tworryonebitit’sjustourtypicalfightnothingstrangebesidesIdon’tthinkgit’dbewisetotellyouwhathappenedanywayso”—

“God, slow down!” Seth interrupted. Grabbing me by the shoulders with worry, he stared at me with those hazel eyes of his that never averted my gaze. “Answer me, much slower. What. Happened?”

“Nothing,” I answered a little too abruptly.

He rolled his eyes. “When you’re speaking ninety miles an hour? I think not, Sarah. What happened? What did he do to you?”

“I’m not comfortable talking about this…” I mumbled.

“And why not?” he asked, getting irritated by the minute.