1.4

"How long has this been going on?" Ara asked him. They we slumped against the ledge of the roof, staring up at the blue sky. There were a few white clouds roaming about, some birds flew past.

Ashton sighed. "A while." He said. "He likes to make a show out of it. Scare everyone. He likes control and power." Ashton tilted his head to look at her. "He gets a little out of control when he's drunk."

"That was Craig. Always loved to be in control. Mind you, Teddy didn't find out what he was doing until he was eight." Ara said.

"How did he react? When he found out." Ashton asked. "To know that your father hits his wife and daughter."

"He was in denial. I mean, he knew something was up. He started to look suspicious whenever we told him we tripped or, it's just a scratch, you know. He didn't actually see Craig abusing us. He always made sure Teddy was gone when it happened."

"What happened after that?"

"Teddy was nine, when Craig first hit my mom in front of him. It was past his bed time, and he snuck out to steal a cookie from downstairs. Craig was in the kitchen, and him and my mom were arguing. He threw a plate at her. Next thing I know is that he's crying on the other side of my bedroom door. He was not happy about what he saw."

"I wouldn't be either. Then again, I take half the hits when he's angry at my mom. I take a majority of the hits in the house."

"Because you don't want to see your loved ones get hurt." Ara said.

"Exactly."

"Just be happy that you still have your mom." Ara added, looking down at the ground. "Mine is dead." He breathing hitched when Ashton grabbed her hand, squeezing it.

"That wasn't your fault." He said.

"Yes, it was." She said. "I made him angry that night and she was sticking up for me. He snapped and he . . ." Ara inhaled with a shaky breath, a stray tear escaping. She quickly caught it, wiping it away. "He shot her." She let go off his hand, and stood up.

"Ara."

"Ashton don't." She whispered. "Please." She wiped her eyes of any tears, and made her way towards the door. "Be safe tonight." She added not looking back. Ara slipped through the door, and down the stairs. Ashton stood up, and sighed.

"God what are you doing to me." He whispered.

Ara wiped away another tear as she walked down the hall, looking for her brother. Thankfully, he wasn't hard to find. He was where she left him with Sam. The two were engrossed in a conversation about Superman. Ara let out a weak laugh, catching their attention. Teddy quickly noticed his sister's tear stained cheeks, and rushed to her side. "What did he do?" He demanded. Ara shook her head.

"Nothing. I just was thinking about mum." Teddy's face softened a bit.

"It wasn't your fault." Teddy whispered to her.

"Why does everyone keep telling me that?" She huffed.

"Because it's true." Sam said. "I know you don't want to hear it Ara, but you're not at fault for her death. You're here because of her. Alive and still caring for Teddy." She said. "You shouldn't beat yourself up about this."

"Sam's right Ara." Teddy said, agreeing with her. Ara nodded, and allowed him to hug her. She wrapped her arms around her younger brother, hugging him tightly. Teddy buried his face in his sister's shoulder. "We'll be okay." He said. Ara nodded once more.

"I hope so." She whispered.

Ara woke early Saturday morning. It was only five a.m. Normally, Craig would be stumbling around the house, so drunk he couldn't stand upright. He'd make so much noise, and being the light sleeper she was, she would always be woken up.

Knowing she wouldn't fall back asleep, Ara tossed her covers aside, and hopped out of bed. She grabbed a towel, and her bathroom stuff, and went to shower.

The warm water was relaxing for her, unknotting all her sore muscles. It gave her time to think. It was nice to not have to worry. To be able to go about her day knowing she wouldn't be yelled at.

Stepping out of the shower, Ara wrapped herself in the towel, and made her way back to her room.

She changed into ripped black jeans, a white black tank top and threw a Green Day sweater overtop. She yanked on a pair of converse, and grabbed her backpack.

As she slipped back into the hall, she heard someone clear their throat. She spun around. "Going somewhere?" Teddy asked his sister. He leaned against the door frame.

"No, I'm to mop the floor." She replied sarcastically. Teddy snorted. "I'm just going out. I'll be back by noon . . . ish." She said.

"Where?" He asked. Ara sighed.

"I'm going back." She said. Teddy shook his head.

"No." He said. "You're not going back."

"Would you relax. I'm not going to do anything reckless." She said.

"Why are you going back."

"I want another tattoo." She replied.

"You don't need another-"

"I want one for mum." She mumbled. Teddy sighed.

"I don't want you to go." He said. Ara sighed.

"I know you don't." She said, stepping towards him. "But I'm a big girl. I can handle myself."

"I don't want you to go alone." He added. Ara huffed. "Don't get snappy with me. Craig still has friends you know. I don't want you getting hurt, Ara."

"Fine. I'll call Sam." Ara said.

"I'm going to ask her if she went with you, you do realize that." He said. Ara narrowed her eyes at her brother. "Or I'll just tell Liam where you went."

"Do that and I won't talk to you for a month." Ara threatened.

"It's your choice Ara. Either you take Sam or I'll tell Liam." Ara huffed again.

"Fine." She growled. "I'll call Sam." She turned without another word and stomped downstairs. Teddy sighed.

"Love you to." He mumbled.