3.7

The days ticked by incredibly slow.

Ara and Teddy stayed in the house, never leaving. Ashton stopped by once, and spent the day with them. He asked Ara about the shooting incident once, but she ignored the question, giving him a glare that shivers down his spine. He didn't ask again. Sam spent a lot of time there too, keeping them company.

On the last day of Christmas break, Sam came over to hang out with Ara. Teddy had decided locked himself in his room, and Ara took that as a sign that something was bugging him; and that he needed space to clear his mind. So she didn't bother him.

The two were in the living room, sprawled out on the couches that were in there. A movie was playing, but they paid it no attention. "Guess what a little birdie told me," Ara said, getting her friend's attention.

"What did they tell you this time?" Sam asked, turning her head. She tucked a lock of hair behind her ear.

"Apparently little Calum has a crush on you." Sam sat up so fast her head began to spin, and her red hair spilled in front of her face.

"He what?"

"That's what Ashton told me. He said Calum has had a crush on you for a few years now. And the only reason why he's so cold is because he's jealous on how easily you let me in."

"No way."

"Yes. Well, I can't be sure, that's just what Ashton told me." Ara smirked at her. "So what are you going to do?"

"What do you mean?"

"Oh come on! He likes you! God, I sound so cheesy right now, but honestly Sam. Stand up girl."

"I don't know Ara. Let's just take this one day at a time."

"Okay," Ara leaned back. "One day at a time."

Easier said then done.

-

Ara held the cigarette between her lips early Monday morning. She was tired, didn't get any sleep the night before. She just wanted to go home. And with everything going on, school wasn't helping.

Teddy frowned as he watched his sister smoke. It was a bad habit she'd picked up a few years ago and wouldn't stop. Making her try and quit would be pointless. It would be too hard. It was hard enough to get her to stop drinking, and even then she still did it. Ara took a long puff off her smoke.

"Take a picture, it'll last longer." She said. Glancing at him.

"Shut up." He said, frustrated.

"Why are you in such a bad mood?"

"I don't know." He sighed. "Part of it is because you're smoking." He scowled. Ara sighed. She dropped the cigarette and stomped on it.

"Happy?"

"Yes." He mumbled. Ara smiled and pulled him in for a side hug.

"You sure you're okay? You seemed off yesterday." She ran her hands through his hair.

"Just stressed I guess." He replied. Ara kissed his forehead.

"We'll get through this." She said.

"Here comes Sam," Teddy said. The two smiled at the red head that came their way. Sam was dressed head to toe in black.

"I'm so happy we dyed your hair." Ara laughed as she reached them. "Red suits you."

"Thanks." She smiled. "My mother doesn't think so, but she can go fuck herself."