1.6

Liam walked into his house after a long day at work, followed by Aaron and Cat, only to be met with the sound of laughter. He exchanged glances with his two coworkers before stepping into the living. Teddy was on the couch, and Ara was on the floor next to a girl with blue hair. They were all laughing about something that was playing on the t.v.

"What's going on here?" Liam asked. Ara glanced up at him with a smile on her face.

"I am having my first slumber party." She said, motioning to Sam. "This is Sam. She's a friend."

"Hello Sam." Liam said.

"Hi." She replied. Liam then thought for a moment.

"Your first slumber party?" Ara nodded. "Wow."

"I know right." She replied.

"Sam, how do you feel about pizza?" Liam asked her.

"All depends. Do you get the proper pizza?" She asked.

"There's a proper way?" He said, confused. "I thought pizza was pizza."

"Well the French put the topping under the cheese." She explained. Liam shuddered.

"We put it with the toppings on top of the cheese. Hence the word 'toppings'." Liam said.

"Someone who gets it." Sam said. Liam laughed

"You kids have fun." He said. The three adults made their way into the kitchen. Cat smiled, leaning against the countertop.

"It's nice to see Ara smile." She said. "She should do it more often, she has a lovely smile.

"She does." Aaron agreed.

"I'm happy she's happy." Liam said. "Loosing someone close to you isn't easy. Those two are handling this very well. Especially Ara."

"I know." Cat said. "She's trying. She's making friends. Hasn't got into fights. She's doing well."

"She is isn't she?" Liam smiled softly. "She's definitely Dana's daughter. Strong, stubborn and independent."

"Sounds like someone we know." Aaron chuckled.

"Close your eyes." Ara said, as she began applying the hair dye to Sam's scalp. Sam looked at her.

"Why?"

"Because it's a surprise." Ara said.

"Won't I see what colour it is when I wash my hair?" Sam asked, closing her eyes anyways.

"Nope. I'm washing your hair in the sink." Ara said.

"But-"

"No buts. It's a surprise."

"Promise i'm not going to be a blonde?"

"I promise." Ara said. She spooned some more dye on the brush and went back to applying it to her head. "So, do you like anyone?" Ara suddenly asked. She moved around, and applied more on the other side of her head.

"What?" Sam questioned.

"Ugh, I know I sound so girly right now, but I seriously want to know if you like someone. What goes on in that mind of yours?" Ara asked.

"Well, I do like someone." Sam said. "I've liked them for awhile now.

"Really? Who is it?"

"If you do a good job on my hair, I'll tell you." Sam said, making a deal with Ara.

"Challenge accepted."

About two hours later, three bottles of hair dye, and some washing, Ara finally finished Sam's hair. She turned the blow dryer off, setting it on the counter and grinned. "And we're done." She said. She took the towel from Sam, and let her look.

Sam opened her eyes, and turned around to look in the mirror. Her eyes widened. Ara had dyed her hair Lilac purple, that seemed to get lighter as it reached the tips of her hair. Ara bit her lip. "Did I do a good job?" Sam nodded.

"I love it." She grinned.

"Aw." Ara replied. She gave her a hug. "So does this mean you'll tell me?" She added hopefully.

"You're gonna think I'm crazy." Sam sighed, sitting up on the counter.

"Why's that?"

"Because I like Calum." She mumbled. Ara's jaw dropped.

"Calum! You like Calum?!" Sam hid her face in her hands.

"I know, I know, but I mean, have you looked at him? He's just . . ." Sam sighed.

"Oh god. You're so whipped." Ara laughed.

"Shut up." Sam replied. "It's so true, but whatever. Enough about me, what about you?" She asked.

"I don't like anyone." Ara lied. Sam scoffed.

"Sure." She said. "You and Ashton are pretty close." Sam added. Ara gave her a funny look.

"I do not like Ashton." Ara said.

"Lies." Sam said. "You lie to me."

"Okay, okay. I don't like him like that. I'm . . . I'm confused." She sighed. "One moment we're fighting, the next we're all buddy buddy. And then we're back to fighting again. Or one of us will shut the other out about somsthings. God." Ara ran a hand through her hair. Sam just shook her head.

"I've never seen him spend so much time with someone other than Calum, Michael and Luke." Sam said. "Even with a girl. He might hook up for a bit, but that's it. He looks at you differently."  Ara just shook her head.

"He said that I was different. I didn't give it much thought. I've had guys tell me that before." She explained.

"But is Ashton like the boys you would normally be around?" Sam asked. She slid off the counter and crossed her arms over her chest.

"In some sense, yes. He's stubborn and a bit of a douche." Ara said. "Not to mention he smokes and drinks too. He talks back, gets into trouble."

"And . . ."

"In some sense he's different. He's . . . I don't know. He's a great listener. I can't deny that no matter how hard I try. And he understands some of what I went through. In some ways we're more alike than ever."

"And you say I'm whipped." Sam teased.

"I am not whipped. I enjoy being around him in some weird way. Being around d him is calming almost. He's someone other than you and Teddy that I can tell my problems too." She replied.

"He doesn't seem that way." Sam said. "Then again, he's made fun of me my whole life so . . ." Ara shook her head this time.

"Yet you like one of his bed friends." Ara smirked.

"Oh shut up."