2.4

Ara spun around, almost loosing her balance, causing Ashton to have a heart attack. He swallowed hard when she didn't fall, being thankful that he didn't witness his friend almost fall to her death. She brushed her hair out of her face and let out a deep breath.

Ara stepped off the ledge, staring at him. He was there. He was safe, unscratched.

Ashton breathed in and out, happy to be in her presence, to be able to see her face again. He thought she would be happy to see him to, however he was not expecting to get hit.

Ara marched forward, slapping him hard across the face. He looked taken back, his hand reaching up to his cheek. She had power in her hits. He remained silent. Ara screamed. "DON'T YOU EVER DO THAT TO ME AGAIN!" She yelled. "I THOUGHT I LOST YOU ASHTON, I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD!" she was crying even more at this point. "DAMMIT ASHTON WAS WERE YOU THINKING! HOW DO YOU THINK CALUM, OR MICHAEL OR LUKE WOULD HAVE FELT IT THEY LOST YOU? HOW DO YOU THINK YOU'RE FAMILY WOULD'VE FELT? HOW DO YOU THINK I WOULD HAVE FELT?" Ara shoved him backwards, causing him to stumble. "YOU STUPID STUPID IDIOT!"

Ara was still fuming, crying angrily while Ashton continued to stare at her.

"I'm sorry." He finally choked out. "I'm so sorry Ara. I understand if you're angry at me and-"

"I'm not angry Ashton." She said "-well, I am a little angry that you would do something as stupid as that, but I'm not mad at you. I don't want to loose you okay. I've lost to many people I've cared about. You don't understand what that does to someone." She cried.

Ashton stepped forward, leaning in closely to her. Ara buried her face in his chest, calming herself. "I'm so sorry Ara." He whispered again, kissing the top of her head. His lips lingered before pulling away. Ashton leaned back and hooked his finger under her chin, lifting her head. He looked into her eyes.

All that could be heard was their breathing. Everything else was quiet. Ara opened her mouth to say something, and that's when Ashton leaned down, pressing his lips roughly against hers. Ara jumped at the contact, stumbling back. Ashton was quick to react, and wrapped his free arm around her waist, his other hand holding her neck in place. His lips were warm and he tasted slightly like bubblegum.

It wasn't until Ashton began to pull away that Ara finally came to her senses. She wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him closer to her and kissed him back with all her might. She tangled her fingers in his hair, pulling it. Ashton broke the kiss and muttered, "Fuck," under his breath. Ara laughed, biting her bottom lip. She glanced up at him, and nudged her nose against his, gently kissing him again. Ashton bit at her bottom lip, pulling it. He laughed. "I really am sorry," he said. "For everything."

"You're still an idiot." She said. "But I think I can live with that." She smiled. Ashton let his other arm fall down to her waist.

"Good, because you mean a lot to me, and I don't want to loose you." Ara shook her head.

"Did you ever think we would end up like this?" She asked. "I sat in your spot, pissed off teachers, drank. You hated me. What changed?" Ashton sighed.

"I don't know. You reminded me a lot of . . . well, me. I just couldn't ignore you anymore. We're not all that different you know."

"I can tell." She smiled. He smiled back at her. Ara hugged him tighter, but pulled away when he flinched. "What hurts?" She asked, worried. He laughed.

"I'm fine." She gave him a look. He sighed. "Okay, so I'm not totally unscratched.

"Where?" She asked. He lifted up his shirt to reveal a bandaged wound. Ara bit her lip to stop from freaking out. "You are definitely an idiot." She whispered.

"But I'm your idiot, right?" He asked with a smirk. Ara looked up at him with mischief in her eyes.

"All mine."

//

"So what's going to happen to James?" Ara asked as the two walked down the stairs. Her fingers were laced with Ashton's. It was comforting.

"He's going to jail. For a long time." Ashton replied. "We're finally free of that bastard."

"Good." She said, the paused for a moment. "Have you seen the guys at all today?" She asked him.

"No, you were the first person I came too. I had to see you." He confessed.

"Well they're worried sick about you, so let's go find them." She said, tugging on his hand. He let her lead him down the hall and outside.

Calum paced back and forth. "Dude calm down." Luke said, placing a hand on his friend's shoulder. Calum sighed.

"I'm sorry. It's just what if something really did happen to Ashton." He said.

"I'm sure he's fine." Sam said, joining them with Teddy by her side.

"How can you be so sure?" Michael asked.

"Because he's walking this way." The three spun around abruptly to find Ashton and Ara walking their way. The two were talking about something; what, they didn't know. They were too far away.

Michael hit Ashton in the shoulder when he reached them. "Don't pull a stunt like that again." He said sternly.

"Yes mother." Ashton replied with a goofy grin. Michael rolled his eyes.

"I'm being serious Ashton. We thought you died."

"Why does everyone think I died?" He asked, his gaze flicker to Ara.

"I don't know . . . maybe it's because you decided to be an idiot and go after James." She said.

"You're so helpful you know that?"

"I try." She smiled.

"Well, as long as you're safe." Calum said. He breathed his, placing his hands on his hips.

"See. I told you he'd be fine." Sam said with a proud grin.

"Congrats oh wise one, do you want the Nobel prize?" He asked sarcastically.

"I'd love for you to stop being a dick, but seeing as that may never happen, the Nobel prize will have to do." Sam retorted crossing her arms with a scowl. Michael had Luke did their best to hide their laughter while Ara just nodded her head.

"This is why we're friends." She said before giving her a high five. Calum frowned and looked away.

"Um, why am I just noticing this?" Sam said. She grabbed Ara's hand, and lifted it up. Thing was, her fingers were still laced with Ashton's. Ara removed her hand from Ashton's and he cleared his throat.

"So, anyone know where Teddy is?" Ara asked. Michael, Calum and Luke looked to Ashton.

"What?" He asked.

"Uh, huh."