4.0

"So what was it that you wanted to talk to me about?" Liam asked, as he moved about the kitchen, making coffee.

Ara swallowed hard and looked over at Ashton and Teddy. "How come I have to tell him?" She hissed at them.

"Because you're more likely to survive." Teddy whispered back.

"Ara?" Liam snapped her out her thoughts.

"Yes." She breathed.

"You okay? You look nervous." He said.

"Um . . ." Ara sighed in defeat. "Listen, Liam, Teddy and I, we-"

"Oh for crying out loud, we're being stalked." Teddy said, throwing his hands up in the air. Liam set his coffee cup down on the counter.

"Stalked? By who?" He asked.

"Chuck Lawrence." Ara replied.

"That creep?" Liam asked. Ara and Teddy made a face.

"How do you know Chuck?"

"I've arrested him plenty of times, mainly for raping young girls, and being a part of an illegal human trafficking site, but- he should still be in jail, he was serving thirty years. The arrest was made five years ago, he's got twenty-five years left."

"Well something went wrong because he's been following us around since before Christmas break. He knows where Ashton's house is, where we go to school, where we live. Thankfully he's still a terrible shot."

"What do you mean by terrible shot, Ara?" Liam inquired.

Ara pulled the sleeve of her sweater up to show the scar that was beginning to heal. "Bullet nicked my arm." She said. Ashton grabbed her arm.

"You lied to me." He said.

"With good reason, Ashton. I'm not arguing this with you." She said, hotly.

"Why am I just finding out about this?"

"He was outside the school today." Teddy said. "We debated on telling you, but we didn't know what was going on, so we just left it. It's getting worse."

"Ara, Teddy, I need to know these kinds of things." Liam said. They nodded. "Now, what's the connecting between you two and Chuck?"

"He's a friend of Craig's." Ara said. Liam's jaw hardened.

"Craig." He said. "I'll be right back." Liam brushed past them and headed into the living room. Teddy breathed out in relief.

"Well, at least he didn't get mad." Teddy said. "That's got to count for something, right?"

"That's not the point Teddy, we should have come to him weeks ago."

"Hey, you're the one who wanted to hold off on telling him." Ashton looked at her.

"And I regret it. Can we just stop . . ." she sighed. "I need a drink." She moved away from the two and headed towards the cabinets. She pulled out a bottle of whiskey from underneath. She glanced at them. "Anybody else?" She asked.

"Yeah," Teddy said. "Even though it's not good for me."

"Why not." Ashton said. "What else could go wrong."

Ara and Teddy looked at him with dark looks.

"A lot " they said.

"Be careful," Ara told Ashton as he prepared to leave. She kissed his cheek, and gave a him a a hug, breathing in his scent."

"I will." He whispered. "I'll call you when I get home."

"You better." She muttered. "Or else."

"You'll be okay though? For school tomorrow?"

"Cat is going to give us a ride in the morning. And a ride home. We'll be fine." She replied.

"I don't want to leave you." He mumbled. He wrapped his arms around her waist, bringing her closer.

"I know." Ara said. "But I'll see you in school tomorrow. In one piece too." She joked. He rolled his eyes at her.

"I love you. So much. Don't ever forget that Ara."

"I love you to Ashton." He gave her a soft kiss before heading out the door. Ara sighed as the door closed. "Bye."

Ara stared tiredly out her window from the comfort of her bed. Light rain sprinkled down outside, splashing against the glass. Ashton had left over half an hour ago, and he still hadn't called her. She was beginning to worry. Should she call him instead? Is he in trouble. Negative thoughts raced through her mind. A single knock on the door made her jump. "Come in." She called.

"Hey," Teddy said, stepping into her room. "You alright?"

"Ashton said he would call when he got home, and he hasn't." She sighed.

"He probably just fell asleep, or had to go do something." Teddy sat down and rubbed her back.

"I know, I'm just- I'm paranoid." She groaned.

"It'll be okay." Teddy said. "Do you want anything?" He asked her.

"Hot chocolate?" She asked, looking up at him with wide eyes. He laughed.

"Of course." He kissed her forehead.

"Hey Teddy?" She said, as her brother stood up.

"Yeah?"

"I love you." She said.

"I love you too sis." He said.

"Thanks for putting up with me." She added. Teddy laughed.

"Someone has too. You're mental." Ara smiled.

"Haven't you heard? All the best people are."

"Except for that 1%." Teddy smirked.

"Except for that 1%." She agreed.

Ashton stared up at his bedroom ceiling ready to fall asleep when he sat bolt upright in his bed. "Fuck!" He hissed. He clambered out of bed, frantically searching his jean pockets for his phone. When he found it, he quickly dialed Ara's number with shaky fingers.

He held the phone to his ear, and waited in silence for Ara to pick up her phone. "Come on baby, pick up." Ashton happened to glance at the clock. It was almost one.

"Hello?" A tired and groggy voice answered.

"Ara," Ashton breathed out in a sigh of relief.

"Ash?" Ara said. "Where are you?" She asked. "Are you okay?"

"I'm at home. I'm s-sorry. I promised I would call, and I didn't and- fuck, I'm so sorry." Ashton apologized. "I was going to and-"

"Hey, just-" Ara yawned on the other end of the line. "You made it home alright, yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Then I'm not mad. Well, I am. I wished you had of called right when you go home, but as long as you're okay, I'm happy."

"I am sorry, Ara." Ashton sighed. "I love you."

"I love you too. Now get some sleep." Ara demanded.

"Goodnight Ara."

"Goodnight Ashton."