1.8

Michael, Calum and Luke stood a few feet behind Ashton. The boy was talking to himself, something he hardly did unless he was nervous. He slammed the door, making them jump. Ashton spun around and jumped as well. He hadn't noticed his friends standing there. "God." He muttered.

"Nope, just us." Michael laughed. Ashton shook his head.

"You okay mate? You're talking to yourself " Luke said.

"No I am not okay." Ashton huffed. He ran his hands through his hair, tugging at the roots.

"What did your dad do this time?" Calum asked.

"Other than do this," he said, pointing to his face. "Nothing. It's what-" he was interrupted by Teddy bolting past them down the hall.

"Wasn't that Arabella's brother?" Michael asked.

"I think so."

"TEDDY!" someone shouted. They turned. A very angry looking Ara came marching down the hall.

"She doesn't look to happy." Calum laughed.

"THEODORE ELLIOT MANNING YOU GIVE ME BACK MY PHONE!"

Teddy cringed. "Why did you have say my fully name?" He asked, turning around to face his sister.

"Because you won't listen." She replied, snatching her phone from his hand.

"Geez, you're a fast runner." Sam said, catching up with them. She inhaled. "I am not made for running. I am made for Netflix." Ara laughed.

"I did track as a kid so I guess I'm in shape." Ara shrugged.

"Guess?! You took down the quarterback of the football team in grade nine. You are in shape." Teddy sighed, catching his breath.

"That was an accident."

"Sure." Sam laughed. She turned her head. "What are you staring at Hood?"

Calum gulped. "When did you dye your hair?" He asked.

"Ara did it on the weekend." She replied.

"Looks nice." He mumbled. Sam turned her head to hide the redness of her cheeks. Sam grabbed Teddy's hand tugging him along. Ara rolled her eyes.

"See you around Ashton." Ara added, running after them.

"That, right there, is what's wrong." Ashton said, after they had left. "She's messing with my head, and I cannot stop thinking about her." His friend looked at him.

"Ara?" Luke questioned. "The girl who stole your spot?"

"Yes. She's messing with me. She cleaned my cut this morning. She was this close to my face, and I had this sudden urge to kiss her!" Ashton groaned, letting his head hit the locker.

"Ashton calm down." Michael said.

"How!"

"It's just a girl." Luke said, shrugging. "It means you like her."

"Luke's right. You may have hooked up with girls, Ash, but you've never dated before. These are common emotions when you like someone." Calum added.

"Ugh! How would you guys know?" Ashton asked them.

"I like someone." Calum said. "So I know what you're feeling."

"Wait, since when do you like someone?" Michael asked him.

"Since a long time." He shrugged.

"Who?"

"I'm not telling." He said. "Trust me Ashton, you like her. You just don't know it yet."

"Sam, you're blushing." Ara teased, as they walked. Sam began to blush even harder.

"Shut up." she replied.

"Why's she blushing?" Teddy asked, confused. "What did I miss?"

"Our little Sam has a crush." Ara said. Sam smacked her arm.

"ARA!"

"On who!"

"No one." Sam lied.

"Oh come on, Sam, tell me! It's not fair that Ara knows!"

"Sucks to be you." Sam laughed. Teddy pouted, looking at her with puppy dog eyes.

"Please." he begged. "Pretty please."

"Ugh! Fine. I'll tell you." Sam sighed. "Come here." she motioned him over. She leaned down so that her lips were at his ear. "I really, really like . . . pie." Sam said. Teddy groaned. "I'm kidding. I like Calum." Sam admitted. Teddy's jaw dropped.

"Him?"

"Oh leave me be. When he's not being an ass, he's okay."

"How would you know that?" he asked.

"Because he complimented my hair, that's how." she laughed.

"Well your hair does look nice." Teddy said.

"Thanks."

"No problem."

Ara pulled her sweater on over her head late that night, and opened her window, slipping out into the cool air. It wast times like this, where she enjoyed walking around at night to clear her mind. Lately, she'd been thinking about Ashton a lot. He was constantly on her mind.

She climbed down the tree, and dropped to the ground. She lit a cigarette and began walking down the street.

The sky was filled with stars that night. There was a slight breeze, but not enough to make her cold. She breathed in the fresh air, and sighed contently.

Ara passed the cemetery, and for a few briefs moments, stopped to talk with her mother. She told her all about Ashton, and how she couldn't get the boy off her mind. She talked about the way his hair shined in the sunlight. She sounded so cliche and girly, but it felt nice to say aloud. She placed three fingers to her lip, and the pressed them against the grave. "I love you mum." she whispered before standing. She slipped out of the cemetery and kept on walking.

Instead of heading back home, Ara crossed the street, and continued on to another part of the city. She had only been down here once, and that was when Cat brought them into town, and had to stop at a friend's house for something. That was little over a month ago. She kept her head down, not drawing attention to herself.

She turned another corner. Most of the lights were off in the houses, but a few still had light on inside. The houses looked small, and a bit rundown. Much like the house she used to live in with Craig, Teddy and her mother. She shivered at the memory. She didn't like this street. Ara picked up her pace a little.

Her heart skipped in her chest when she heard something break. She stopped walking, and looked up. The house across the street from her had all it's light's on inside, and Ara could hear shouting coming from it. She didn't know what they were screaming about, but they did not sound happy at all.

Suddenly, the door opened, and someone came running out of the house. "FUCK YOU!" he screamed. Ara froze. The boy turned around and stopped, facing her.    "A-Ara?"

"Ashton?"