1.5

"Remind me again why we're going to your old neighborhood." Sam said, walking with Ara to the bus stop. The poor girl was utterly confused when Ara called her up at seven to go somewhere with her.

"I wanted to get another tattoo." Ara said. "And there's only one person I trust to do that, and unfortunately for me, that person lives back in the old hood, so that's where we're going." Ara explained.

"And you need me because . . ."

"Teddy will tell Liam where I went, and I don't feel like getting yelled at." She replied.

"I hate blackmail." Sam sighed.

"You and me both." Ara replied. The two sat down on the bench by the bus stop.

"Why are we going g so early?" Sam asked.

"One, I want to be back by noon to finish my math homework because I've put that off long enough, and second, there's going to be a bunch of drunks walking around late at night, and parties will be happening. I don't think you want to get caught up in that."

"Yeah, parties aren't my thing." Sam said. "I'm more of a 'stay at home and binge watch supernatural' kind of person."

"Jerk." Ara mumbled with a smirk.

"Bitch."

Sam trailed closely behind as Ara walked down the street towards the tattoo parlor. She was nervous about the whole thing.

Ara was greeted with the smell of cigarettes and ink when she walked into the parlor. Sam gagged a little, not used to the smell. Ara smiled. A man walked out from behind the counter, glancing up briefly, and then back down. He had dark brown hair, and wore black jeans and a muscle tee. He had tattoos running up and down his arms.

His head suddenly snapped back up. "Well I'll be damned." He said. "Arabella Lee."

"Hey Tanner." She said, giving the man a hug.

"Long time." He said.

"Agreed." She replied. Tanner looked behind her.

"Who's the kid." He asked.

"This is Sam. Sam this is Tanner."

"Hi." She mumbled.

"She's a shy one." He smiled. "It's nice to meet you Sam." Sam gave a weak smile back but no reply. "So where have you been?" He asked turning away. "Haven't seen you around in a while."

"I don't live here anymore." Ara said, leaning against the counter.

"What?" Tanner raised an eyebrow.

"Did you not here what happened?" Ara asked. He shook his head. "Craig shot my mum." She said. Tanner's jaw dropped.

"He did what?"

"Yeah. Right in the head." She sighed. "Teddy and I live with my dad."

"You're real one?"

"Yeah, and that's not the best part." She said. "He's a cop." Tanner laughed.

"Oh god. That must be fun for you." He said. Ara rolled her eyes.

"Tell me about it."

"So what can I do for you. I don't think you came to talk."

"I want another tattoo. One for my mum." She said.

"I don't have anyone today. Do you have an idea?" She nodded. "Come on back."

"You can come with Sam." She added. "If you want."

"Thanks." Sam followed the two to a back room that smelled strongly of alcohol. There was another boy in there, with black hair, black glasses, and an eyebrow piercing. He looked up.

"Ara! Where the fuck have you been?" He asked, jumping up to hug her.

"Nice to see you too Jayden." She laughed. "I moved in with my dad." She added.

"Like . . . the one you never knew? Why?"

"Craig shot my mum." Jayden's face paled.

"Oh Ara, I'm so sorry." He said, giving her another hug.

"I'm okay." She replied.

"Who's this?" He said, pointing to Sam.

"That's Sam. She's a friend." Ara smiled.

"Hello." Sam replied.

"Nice to meet you." He added. "So let me guess. You want another tattoo?" Ara nodded. "Well you came to right place."

"Always do."

"I have to admit. I had fun today." Sam smiled at Ara.

"What do you mean?" Ara asked, twisting to look at her.

"Normally I stay in for the weekend." She replied.

"Doing what?"

"Being undermined by my parents." She sighed. "I'm not 'up to par' as they put it. Everyone of my siblings is like this great, amazing person and then there's me. They love my ten year old sister more than me." Sam explained. Ara frowned.

"Well I'm glad I stole you for the day. Being cooped up in that house, no wonder you hate people." Ara exclaimed. Sam laughed.

"If you knew my family-"

"You'd understand."

"Exactly." Sam smiled. Ara thought to herself

"You wanna spend the night?" She asked. Sam gave her a funny look.

"Are you being serious?"

"Yes! Come on. You spend all the time in your house, and it's driving you crazy. So just come over to my house."

"You sure?"

"I don't think Liam will care." Ara said. "Beside, I could use some company other than Teddy." Sam laughed.

"Okay." She said. "I'm in."

"Yes!"

Teddy was sprawled out on the couch when Ara walked into the house. His lifted his head. "Hey sis."

"Hey." She smiled. Teddy was surprised when Sam walked in behind her.

"Hey Teddy." She smiled.

"Hey .  .  . what are you doing here?" he asked.

"I invited her to stay the night." Ara said.

"I don't think we've ever had someone spend the night before." Teddy said. "Nobody wanted their kids at our house for a whole evening."

"Wait, you've never had a sleepover?" Sam asked Ara. She shook her head. "Okay, that is so sad." Sam said. "You need to be educated in the ways of a sleepover." Ara laughed.

"Then lead on oh wise and knowledgeable one." Ara teased. Same laughed.

"Funny. All we need is junk food and movies. That's the best kind of sleepovers. But don't be all girly on me." Sam said.

"I promise on one condition." Ara said. Sam raised a brow.

"What's that?"

"This is only if you let me, but I really want to dye your hair." Ara said. Sam laughed.

"Really?"

"Yes! I've wanted to do that for a long time." Ara admitted.

"As long as it isn't blonde or green I don't care what you do."

"This is going to be great!"