2.3

Ashton was a no show.

With every passing second, every minute, Ara hoped that the slightly annoying, curly blonde haired kid would walk into the class and start sassing the teacher, and bug her for stealing his seat.

But that never happened.

Ara grew more progressively worried by the minute, really thinking that something terrible had happened to him. She tried texting him, she even called him after excusing herself to the bathroom. But he didn't reply. This just made her feel even more sick than she had this morning.

The bell rang, and she was the first one up and out of her seat. Grabbing her things and shoving them in her bag, she was out the door of her class quickly. Ara gripped the straps of her backpack tightly as she walked down the hall in the opposite direction of her class.

She made for the roof staircase, opening the door. She checked for anyone and cause the coast was clear, she slipped inside, making her way up. But what she never noticed was that somebody slipped in behind her.

// rewind to earlier that morning //

Ashton was becoming more and more frustrated with the nurses that surrounded with every passing second. He did not want to be in a hospital room being treated like a five year old. What he wanted was to call Ara and let her know that he was okay. But that didn't seem to be happening any time soon.

Ashton growled for the thousandth time that morning as his phone pinged with another text, knowing it was probably either Ara or Calum. The nurse scowled.

"That thing is annoying." She said, checking his wound. He rolled his eyes.

"Well if you would let me answer the damn thing it would be a problem." He spat. The nurse glared.

"Didn't your mother teach you better manners?" She retorted.

"My mother was in love with an abusive man who just tried to kill us and you're concerned about my manners?" He scoffed, looking away. The nurse moved away from him.

"You're good to go. I'll go grab the papers." She replied angrily. She was clearly done with his attitude. "If you have any problems, come back." She added walking out.

Ashton reached out to grab his phone, and checked his notifications. He had over a hundred calls, half of them from Ara alone. Ashton went to unlock his phone and groaned. It died. He knew Luke would give him hell for that. Even Ara. Ashton wanted to get out of here as quick as possible and get to school so that she knew he would be okay.

The nurse returned with the papers, and Ashton sighed them quickly. He stood up grabbing his jacket and phone and walked swiftly out of the hospital room. He found Lauren and Harry in the waiting room. "Ashton!" Lauren ran up to her brother. "Are you okay?" She asked. He nodded.

"Look, I need to go and make sure everyone knows that I'm okay. Can you guys watch over mum for me?" He asked his younger siblings. They nodded. "Good. I'll be back later okay?"

"Be safe Ashton." Harry said.

"I promise."

Ashton walked along the streets, keeping his head down. It was nice out but still chilly.

The school wasn't too far away, so he made it in no time. School had already started, first period would be ending soon. Hopefully he could catch Ara or one of the boys.

As he walked down the hall, he heard the bell ring. It made him jump. Then again, almost any loud noise made him jumpy. He spun around the hall, looking out for his friends. Even Sam or Teddy would do. But he couldn't see anyone. He sighed in frustration and kept walking down the hall. He turned the corner and that's when he saw her come out of English. Her dark hair was straightened making her slightly unrecognizable to him. From a distance he could tell she had been crying, which confused him slightly. He knew that Ara and him and gotten much closer since she moved here, but he didn't think he meant that much to her for her too be crying because of him. Ashton made his way towards her, but Ara turned the ha, going in the opposite direction. He quickened his pace, and watched as she disappeared up the roof staircase. He ran after her, grabbing the door before it closed and slipped inside.

Ara sat on the roof, staring at all the potted plants that were up there. Each one was different, every colour, every detail. They were very beautiful. Ara could feel the tears coming on. She wanted nothing more than to cry. It seemed to be the only thing that she could do.

Ara stood up and grabbed her hair, tugging on it angrily. Why did her life have to suck? Why did her friend have to go through so much pain? She hated it. Absolutely hated it. Ara let out a shaky breath, and began to cry. She screamed loudly as the tears flowed down her cheeks. Her breathing became quick and pretty soon she was hyperventilating. She wanted to kick and scream like a toddler because that's how she felt. She felt like she had just lost something important to her and she was never going to get it back or see it again.

She sobbed loudly, wiping away her tears in an attempt to stop crying but nothing worked. She wrapped her arms around her waist, giving herself a hug. Ara thought back to the day that she had spent with Ashton in her roof, the two of them sharing stories. She remembered how he kissed her on the cheek. But the memories just made her more upset. Ara leaned against the edge of the roof, her palms flat of the ledge. She peered over the side. Without thinking, Ara stepped up onto the ledge, closing her eyes.

"ARA!"