Chapter 1: A Cold Reception

I looked down at my ink-stained hands in disappointment. How in the hell did I get so terrible at writing? I pulled a handkerchief out of me desk drawer and tried to rub some of the ink from my skin. Mountains of files scattered my desk, piling on to the floor and across my couches. Pour a little caffeine on top, and I was living in my hell.

Momo marched back and forth in front of my desk, wearing a hole in the floor. If I waited long enough, she might wear a hole so deep that I wouldn't have to worry about her nagging me constantly.

One could dream.

"It's been three days," she reminded me.

"Yep," I sighed, abandoning my attempt to rid my hands of ink.

"--and we're leaving later this afternoon," she added.

"Thanks for the reminder, lieutenant."

"You haven't discussed your security detail with him yet as the Head Captain ordered," she fretted, clutching a pile of papers in her fist as she continued to pace.

I dropped my pen into the inkwell and pushed away from my desk, gingerly stepping over the perfectly organized chaos on my floor.

"Give me those," I held out my hand. Momo deposited the papers neatly into my palm. In no time she seated herself firmly at my desk, leaving me no choice but to go.

"I'll make sure our itinerary is in order. . ." she scrunched her face as she examined the destroyed piece of paper in front of her. It was honestly more ink than blank space. "Actually scratch that, I'll write up our itinerary while you get that sorted out," she gave me a knowing look and pointed to the door.

"I forget now, who exactly makes the orders around here?" I tapped the papers against my forehead.

Without bothering to look up from her work, she waved her hand to shoo me out the door.

"Goodbye captain!" she smiled sweetly.

Damn it; she was too kind.

***

I fidgeted with my clothes and my hair, rearranging the soft pink scarf around my neck to hide the redness my skin was taking on.

"Captain Urahara," a lazy voice spoke from behind, startling me.

My mentor chuckled.

I turned to greet him, giving him my biggest smile. "Captain Kyoraku! Are we using formalities now? Since when have you been such a stiff?" I teased.

"I just figured it must be nice to use your real name for a change." He embraced me in a massive bear-like hug and then pulled away to assess me.

"I'm happy to see you're doing so well, kiddo," he said in all honesty.

"Better than I expected to be, given the circumstances I guess." I shrugged. I wasn't really up to talking about it.

"I heard you got the chance to reunite with Kisuke. How's he doing?"

"I haven't had much time with him actually, we've only had one conversation."

"Did he say anything of interest?" He arched an eyebrow, apparently digging for information.

I thought about the note and chose not to disclose it. "Not really, but Keisuke does want to get to know me better and honestly, I want to get to know him."