Chapter 9: What goes up, must come down

". . .and that makes seven. Damn, we make a good team!" I high fived my lieutenant.

"I wouldn't exactly call it teamwork when you're the one doing all the work." He reminded me.

Hunting down hollows was a therapeutic and practical use of my time. Got a little angst in you? Cut a hollow in half. It's a win-win no matter which way you slice it.

I took a second to catch my breath. "Well, I mean at least I've got you cheering on the sideline! It counts for something."

He chuckled. "Are you going to tell me what's got you slicing up hollows like it's your job?"

I poked his forehead with my finger. "Uh earth to Kensei, that is my job."

He shook his head in disagreement. "You're a captain. Your job is delegating and paperwork."

I wiped my blade on the sleeve of my robe and sheathed it. "Meh, I was getting a little rusty, I needed the extra stretching anyways."

"Right."

"You don't believe me?" I held a hand to my chest in mock horror.

"I believe that you're lying to me, but that's as far as I'll go." He shied away from me, rubbing his neck awkwardly.

"That hurts me deeply, Kensei, and here I thought we were getting along so nicely." I teased.

He tried to hide the smile on his face. I missed the old Kensei.

"Now where to next?" I pulled out the soul phone, watching the locator intently. I felt a little crestfallen when I saw no blips appear on the radar. "I think I was a little too efficient."

"Nonsense we'll find some," he leaned over my shoulder again, checking the screen with me.

"Maybe we should--," he covered my mouth with his lips, silencing me. Panic set in and I tried to push him away. He resisted, intent on finishing what he started. I pulled one arm free of him and gave him a resounding smack across his cheek.

"What in the actual fuck Kensei?!" I stumbled backwards.

He held a hand up to his cheek and massaged it gingerly.

"That's not how I thought you'd react," he said, surprised at me.

"Kissing your captain? How else was I going to react?" I waved my hands in frustration.

"Maybe you shouldn't be giving me mixed signals then!" He shouted.

I tossed a few more F-bombs to punctuate my feelings. "You're imagining things, Kensei. The only feelings I have for you are the same feelings I have for Momo or Rangiku or any of the other soul reapers I know."

"And what about Captain Hitsugaya?" he sounded hurt.

"That's a low blow, and you know it."I gritted my teeth.

He pulled his hair to show his agitation. "What do I have to do, huh? Become a captain like him? Will you swoon then?"

"Swoon? What the hell is that supposed to mean? I just don't have those feelings for you Kensei."

"You're heartless."

"and you're an asshole."

His words felt like a punch to the gut. I tried to find something to say, but there wasn't anything I could do to mend this rift we had created.

"Kensei I--,"

"Save it; I'm out."

He was gone before I could do anything more.