Chapter 4: A Hidden Message

The curtains of my bedroom window fluttered gently and listlessly from my vantage point next to the still, sleeping form of Toshiro. The fact that I knew this meant I was still awake, stressing about things I couldn't do anything about. Long after Toshiro had pulled me into his arms and drifted off to sleep my mind was still very alert and processing my stress at a rapid rate. I held a hand to my rapidly beating heart and tried to breathe evenly. I didn't help. Mentally, I told myself to relax and let it go, but my subconscious was winning the war. In my head, I'd imagined every possible outcome for my loved ones and I even ran a play-by-play through each scenario which turned out the same everytime.

Someone might be killed tomorrow, someone I love, and I couldn't do anything to stop it.

I wanted to switch off my brain so badly.

Slowly, and with great care not to wake him, I eased myself from Toshiros arms and out of the comfort of our bed. The moon reflected in his bright white hair, illuminating the room for me as I searched for my robe that had gotten tangled up in his. A piece of paper slipped out of my pocket, and when I grabbed it, I realized I had forgotten about Kisuke's message from earlier. Stealing a look over my shoulder to confirm he was still sound asleep, I left Toshiro to dream in peace.

***

The hearth in my living room glowed faintly, the remaining embers clinging on to its last bit of life. I threw a new log on to the red hot coals and unfolded the note again. Curling my feet under me on the wide leather sofa, I read the note over once more;

dear Sister. i know you've had a hard time finding your Place in this world and maybe all this trouble with the espadas has got you seeing Red. but i just want you to know that you and i are cut from the same Cloth and i know that when it comes down to it, you'll do the right thing. In my years of absence Your brother did what i couldn't do and i never thanked him for it. i hope some day i have a Window of opportunity to see him again And thank him for taking care of you. i wish i didn't have to Wait for this war to be over but One Day, someday we'll see each other again. if you Go back to our old Home make sure to Find a light source when you're walking around the wooded area, it's so Black there at night. chin up akira i know you'll always land on your feet, just like a Cat does. well i dont know what i was writing this For but i want you to know that i was happy getting to know you again. sometimes i think being a good brother requires Instructions.

-Kisuke

I tried looking at it from an investigative angle. What was Kisuke trying to tell me? The only thing I could say for sure is that he needed to brush up on his writing skills; none of his sentences were capitalized but some of the other words, even though they weren't proper nouns, were. 

Wait a second. . . 

I shot up from my seat and searched the room for a pen. That had to be intentional. I found each of the capitalized letters in the message and scribbled them down in the blank space below;

S, P, R, C, Y, W, A, W, O, D, G, H, F, B, C, F, I

I could tell before I'd even finished writing them that it was utter nonsense. Could he have put them in an anagram? 

SPRAY

.

WOOD

.

CRY

.