Chapter Two

My ribs are roughly prodded and poked until I finally manage to crack open an eyelid

My ribs are roughly prodded and poked until I finally manage to crack open an eyelid. As my vision comes to, I see the blurred face of my mother's looming over. I flinch back, heart racing ecstatically.

"What's happening? Why are you here?" I ask.

"Just checking to see if you're still alive." She chuckles. "Before Kyle left, he explained how much you had to drink. Ava, why do you feel the need to drink so much?"

"It's all Kyle's fault." I try to defend myself.

"Ava!" She grumbles.

"I'm sorry?" My tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth.

"Hm." She shoots me daggers. "Just come and clean my beautiful lounge room, okay?"

"Sure." I promptly nod my head.

"Kyle left a glass of water and painkillers on your side table," she explains.

"Thanks." I tug on a smile.

The quietly exits the room while I slide back under the covers. Eventually, I resurface and grab the water. The pills stick to my tongue but I manage to wash them down. I still feel like a sponge that's been left on the sidewalk for too long, but other than that, I feel fine.

I throw the bed cover away climb out of my comfy position. The lack of Kyle's presence shows me once more, Kyle's never going to stick around and help. This is the fourth time he's done this. You know, one day I'm going to cast my revenge.

Trudging downstairs, I walk into the living room to assess the mess. As my eyes wander over the room, I fail to understand the complaint. We've only left the glasses and the blanket out. In fact, I'm surprised we're not in trouble for taking their alcohol.

I grab the blue blanket from the couch and attempt to fold it. In the end, it looks like a fluffy blob of material. I shove the blanket into the linen cupboard and slam the door shut.

Once I return to the lounge room, I collect the two shot glasses and the bottle. I toss the glasses into the sink and the empty bottle into the trash and then return to wash down the table. Once the mess is cleaned, I grab my thongs and head outside.

The sun already has a bite to it but this doesn't faze me. In fact, I enjoy the warm rays dancing across my skin. Some days I feel numb and I enjoy sitting in the weather. A rustle of wind through my hair, a slight chill, or even the sweat of a warm day oddly makes me feel human. It reminds me that no matter what happens, I'm still here.

I wander through my mother's garden until I come across my green plant pot sitting on the brick edging. I pour some water into the drying soil and take a seat on the grass beside it.

"You look how I feel and that isn't a good thing." I frown.

Just after Ivan passed away, my mother bought me a plant. I thought it was stupid. What am I going to do with a plant? It's not going to love me like my own child. But in a weird, warped way, I sort of get it. The plant needs to be cared for, to be loved, and in return, I get to watch it grow and eventually flower. It's no child but it's what I need. This plant became the reason I would get up in the morning.