Chapter Thirty-Six

The light trickles in through the open wooden blinds which rustles me from my sleep

The light trickles in through the open wooden blinds which rustles me from my sleep. I roll onto my side and stretch across the bed. I feel around the smooth cold sheets before my eyes spring open and notice the empty bed. I'd been so tired last night, I'd cashed without realising it.

            Maybe Blake came home and he's up with London? Maybe he didn't come home because he's still dealing with his thoughts? Whatever the reason, I hope he's left some kind of message for me. I lean across the bed and grab the phone from my side table.

            I quickly open up his contact information and call his phone. It rings a couple of times and goes straight to message bank.

            "Call me when you get this, or just message me a smiley face to tell me you're okay. I love you," I say.

            A million and one bad scenarios begin playing through my mind. What if something bad happened? What if he had an accident, got into trouble, ran away from the party, or got into a fight with someone and he's in hospital, or did he drink too much? I face plant my pillow, shaking those thoughts from my mind. Maybe he's just passed out on the couch and I'm actually over reacting?

            Tossing the phone onto the bed, I get out and head into the kitchen for a cup of tea. I put fresh water into the kettle and then trek down to London's bedroom. Little blue eyes peek over the pink blanket which make me laugh.

            "Are you hungry, Lo?" I ask.

            She shakes her head in response. The covers ruffle as London pokes her whole head out. Blake's gotten her into the habit of playing in the garden before sitting down to breakfast. I haven't decided if that's good or bad. Sometimes you just need time for your stomach to wake up and realise its food time.

"Do you want to play in the garden?" I question.

London's eyes light up with excitement as she scrambles out of the blanket to escape her room. Before she has a chance to get far, I open her wardrobe and pick out a selection of play clothes and hold them up for her.

            "What do you want to wear?" I ask.

            She picks the pink fairy shirt and a pair of black leggings. I help London change out of her fuzzy blue bunny pyjamas and into her play clothing. Once she's dressed, London wobbly races out of the room and I have to chase after her to keep up.

            I open the back door and let her loose. London races across the grass and rolls around the place. I take a seat in the middle of the grass and open my arms for her to run into them. Eventually, she takes a seat in my lap but continues to wiggle around.

            "Can you say flower?" I poke her stomach.

            She swivels around to look up at me, "Fower."