Chapter Nineteen

I've gone over what I want to say a million times, but as I stand in front of Axel's apartment, it feels like I've lost my mind, maybe I really have gone mad? It's like I've never spoken a word of English before

I've gone over what I want to say a million times, but as I stand in front of Axel's apartment, it feels like I've lost my mind, maybe I really have gone mad? It's like I've never spoken a word of English before. Everything is scrambled and mashed inside my brain.

My fist bangs against the rough surface of the door. I take a deep breath and tell myself it's okay – everything will be okay. The door swings open and the calm state of Axel's appearance leaves me almost relaxed.

His arms crosses over his broad chest as he straightens up.

"What's wrong?" he inquires. "You look like you're about to pass out."

My finger twirls around the material of my shirt as I hesitantly bite my lip. What isn't wrong?

"Can I talk to you?" I question.

"Sure you can." Axel nods his head.

We walk down the hallway and take a seat on the couch. He sits in the armchair across from me so that it's easier for us to talk.

"What do you want to talk about?" Instead of laying back in the comfort of the plush couch, Axel leans forwards and rests his elbows on his knees. His curious eyes cling to mine as I bite my bottom lip.

"Um, I need you to tell me I'm doing a bad thing," I explain. "My brain keeps telling me I should get back with Blake."

Surprisingly, Axel softly smiles as he shrugs his shoulder. He reshuffles on the chair.

"You know I can't tell you what to do, Ava. I can only encourage you to be happy," he replies.

"But I don't know what to do, that's the problem," I grumble.

"You want to be free, making your own choices is part of it," he notes.

"Being an adult sucks," I groan.

Slumping further into the couch, I slide onto my side and stare at the ceiling. I grab the cushion and put it under my head for comfort.

"What about us? I value my friendship with you and . . ."

"If you decide to go back to your ex-boyfriend, then I'll always be your friend," says Axel. "Friends support their friends."

"You're okay with just being friends?" I ask.

"Yes." He confidently nods.

"Are you upset with me?" I inquire.

Did he ever think about us in a different way? Perhaps if I wasn't still in love with Blake, I'd think about a future with Axel.

"Why would I be upset?" he questions.

"Well, we were, you know. . ." I blush at the thought of Axel and I being intimate. It's silly, but I can't help but squirm at the thought.