Chapter Three

The bedroom door swings open which sends me dramatically springing upright

The bedroom door swings open which sends me dramatically springing upright. I look towards the doorway to see my mother and Tori standing side by side in cahoots. Two large grins consume their lips as they stare at me. I shuffle under the blanket uncomfortably as I look at the pair.

"Ava, you have a visitor," Mum announces the obvious.

"Oh, great." I smile. "Just bloody wonderful."

"Have fun chatting!" Mum nudges Tori into the room and wonders off.

Her bright, colourful playsuit sends a spiral of fear circling around my heart. The dropping neckline also sends a bolt of terror as well. You don't come dressed up in that to talk to me.

Tori takes a seat at the end of the bed and smiles at me. Her overly sugary smile just flames the fire of worry building in the pit of my stomach.

"What do you want?" I bluntly ask.

"Please come out with us tonight," she explains. "It's my free weekend and I want to have fun. What do you say?"

"No." I frown.

After Kyle's many failed attempts to get me out of the house, this doesn't surprise me. I wonder if he put her up to the task?

"How much longer are you going to shut yourself off?"

"For as long as I want?" I retort.

"How about this?" she offers. "You spend one night with us and we promise to leave you alone."

"Tempting," I note. "Does Kyle agree to this?"

"Yes," replies Tori. "Or at least I promise to make him."

"Okay," I agree.

It will be nice to get the pair of them off my case. I also won't admit it, but it would be nice to get out of the house for the night. Stretch my legs, have some fun, and just let loose.

"Great!" she cheers. "Now, what are you going to wear?"

"Some jeans?" I offer.

"What? No, you have to have something nicer in your wardrobe."

"Hm." I shrug my shoulders, unsure of that's in there.

Tori wanders towards my wardrobe and swings the door open. She begins flicking through the items of clothing until she comes across something that spikes her interest. Tori takes out a black dress and holds it against her body.

The dress has a satiny finishing with a circular neckline, spaghetti cross over straps, and a pleated dress which is a flattering cut.

"How about this?" she asks.

I ponder on the dress for a moment before frowning. I think this's the only cute outfit I own.

"Sure, that'll do."