Blake's Bonus Chapter

- WARNING -

Inspired by the fact people hear and interperate things differently, some of the events and dialogue in the chapter are different to the previous one.

Ben's loud voice booms over the music which makes me shudder with fear. I slowly weave through the crowd as I try to escape his wrath. My eye scan over the crowd until I see her. Despite the lack of lighting in the backyard, she stands out like a glowing ember in a smothered fire.

A long slinky arm wraps around my shoulder and tugs my attention to him.

"It's time for your birthday shot, Blake," Ben yells excitedly.

"I don't need any more alcohol." I shake my head. "How many shots have you given me?"

"Yes, you do," he replies. "This is going to kick your funky mood and make you happy." My gaze wanders back to Ava and I smile. Ben catches onto who I'm looking at and frowns. His arm drops from around my neck and I see the burning fire erupt through him.

"Blake, I'm only –"

Before those words can set fire to the situation, I start running towards the door. Ben quickly chases me out into the yard and leaps onto my back. The additional weight forces me to lose balance and tumble onto the ground. We lay on the grass laughing while he hits me with the back of his hand.

I scramble to my feet and notice Ava quickly approaching.

"You made it, Ava." I smile.

"I wouldn't miss it." She awkwardly shrugs.

I hook one arm around her neck and bring her in for a hug. She wraps her arms around my waist and softly squeezes me. I have to remind myself to let go. She takes a small step back and shyly grins at me.

"Drink time?" I mutter.

"Yes," she meekly responds.

The three of us walk to the kitchen where I grab Ava a fruity drink from the bunch bowl, along with two beers from the fridge. Ben takes the drink and slouches against the kitchen bench. I shoot him a look which results in Ben wondering off.

"I'm happy you could make it," I say.

"Thank you for the invite," she replies.

"No worries." I take a long sip from my beer and place it on the bench. "How are you and this new fella? You could have brought him."

My grip tightens on the bench at the thought of Ava wait another man. I'd injure the pain because I want to see him for myself. Kyle says he's amazing, but how can you be top shelf if you're sneaking onto another man's woman?

"We're just friends," she says. Her gaze drops to the floor as she fiddles with her shirt. "He's playing in his band tonight."

"That's awesome. He's the guitarist, right?" So, I'll break his fingers if he hurts my Av.