Chapter Twenty-Eight

When I arrive at Blake's house, I walk in without knocking

When I arrive at Blake's house, I walk in without knocking. As I wander through the quiet hallway, I enter the kitchen and find Blake crouched over the kitchen bench. I creep forwards and notice the array of paper scarred across the length of the table.

"What are you working on?" I question.

Blake flinches back and then begins to scoop up the paper. Some of the pages go flying into the air and one lands on the floor by my foot. I quickly retrieve it before Blake notices it.

My eyes look over the page and I gasp when I realise it's not just paper, but in fact, a flyer for a house on the market. I lean against the bench and find the rest of the papers are the same but different houses of all shapes and sizes. Some with pools, others with extra rooms, or bathrooms.

"You're looking at houses?" I ask.

"Maybe." He sheepishly smiles. "I've been hunting high and low trying to find the perfect place, but with no luck."

Blake spreads the papers out and then steps to the side so that I can see them.

"Really?" I gasp. "I'm impressed, Blake."

"I just can't find anything I want," he explains. "They're either too small, far away, or not in the right area."

I look over the suburbs and nod my head in agreeance.

"Let's not move to somewhere we might get stabbed," I say.

"Definitely not happening, don't worry!"

Blake gathers the flyers and then tosses them into the bin. The lid clanks shut as he takes his foot off the pedal. He shrugs his shoulders and then walks towards me.

"We'll have to live here until something works out." He sighs unhappily.

"That's okay." I smile. "Maybe it's not the right time?"

"Yeah, and maybe it would be easier to build a downstairs bathroom? Or I can take over my parents' house?" He laughs.

"I don't think your parents will like that." I chuckle.

"Eh." He shrugs. "I'm sure they wouldn't notice if I sneak back into my old bedroom. London could take Jude's room."

"Or they could keep their house and you could start off with a training potty for London?"

"Thankfully, I've still got time to find a house."

"I'm sure things will work out, don't worry until then." I smile.

"Okay." He kisses my forehead.

Blake takes my hand and we walk outside to prepare for the gathering. I grab the box of new inflatable pool toys while Blake starts cleaning the barbecue in preparation for lunch. I take a seat on the grass and get to work inflating the watermelon slice floaty.