Chapter Eighteen

The worst part about drinking is the morning after

The worst part about drinking is the morning after. The consequences of your actions surface in a negative effect. An irritating side factor is the part of my brain that is always telling me another drink is going to be okay, despite the fact I promise myself I'm never drinking this much again. Then I wake up feeling like roadkill.

Then there's the fact I continue to make the same mistake should really be considered a talent. Life seems to give me multiple chances to learn from my mistakes, but I always manage to make them again.

How I ended up in Blake's bed is yet another reflection of my poor life choices.

The bathroom door handle jiggles as Blake steps into the room. The first thing I notice is his bare form which leaves me blushing. Why is he walking around naked? I get this is his house, but still, some clothing would be nice.

"Well then, happy birthday." I avert my gaze to the wall.

"It's nothing you haven't seen before," Blake comments, a cheeky wink following.

My cheeks heat up at the thought, "That's true."

Blake strides through the room in all his glory and grabs his clothing from the chest of drawers. He slowly tugs on a pair of briefs and then scrambles through the drawers to find the rest of his clothing. Eventually, he finds a white shirt with yellow writing, and then a pair of faded black shorts.

Despite the fact he's a full-time worker and a father to a very cute baby girl, he still manages to keep in shape. Damn, how does he look so good? By the time I've finished napping during the day, there's not enough time to work out, not that I would in the beginning.

I push the blanket away and climb out of the bed. As I stretch my tired limbs, I try to remember what went down last night. When my mind draws to a blank, I look towards Blake for answers.

"What happened last night?" I ask. "The last thing I remember was dancing with Axel."

Just the mention of Axel's name leaves Blake in a tissy. He slams the drawer shut and turns to look at me. By the time his green eyes meet with mine, he's tugging on a composed facade.

"I found you on the bathroom floor and then I put you to bed," he explains.

"Oh, you didn't have to." I frown.

"You didn't give me much of a choice, Ava." He laughs.

"Ops." I smile guiltily.

"It's okay, I'd rather you're safe then passed out in a ditch, or something," he responds.

"So, what about everyone else?" I change the subject. "Are they here or did they go home already?

"Tori and Jude left this morning with London, and Kyle took Charlotte home last night because she wasn't feeling well," he explains.

"Oh." I awkwardly smile.

"Just you and me now." His grin sends the wrong kind of chills floating through my system. I should not be left alone with Blake, I just know I'll end up screwing things up.