Chapter Thirteen

Standing in front of Blake's house feels odd, yet like home

Standing in front of Blake's house feels odd, yet like home. Almost like I'd been away on vacation and finally returning. At the same time, I feel like a weed in their immaculate garden bed. Somewhat home, but not really, just out of place.

Climbing out of the car, I slam the door behind me. The car beeps as I press the lock button on the transmitter. As I place the bulky keys into my pocket, I venture across the perfectly manicured lawn. The strands of grass crunches under my shoe as I move towards the side gate.

Usually, the gate is left open but this time around, there's a small metal latch securing it closed. I flick it open and carefully lock it behind me. Now that London is running around, it makes sense to put a lock on it.

Nerves bubble in the pit of my stomach as I walk towards the house. This almost feels like the first time I stepped out of my comfort zone and came to his house. I can't believe how much has happened since the first time he tapped on my shoulder – I never imagined I'd be his girlfriend, or mother of his child.

Sprouts of weeds spring between clusters of white decorative pebbles in the footpath. I step around them on the walk up to Blake's house. As I enter the open backyard, I find Blake walking out the house, a medium sized box in his muscular arms.

"Hey," I call out.

Blake's eyes snap towards me, a small smile floating onto his lips.

"Hi stranger, what are you doing here?" he asks.

"I need to collect my things," I explain.

Last night, Axel made me realise I'm not the minimal type of person. When I woke up this morning, I shivered at the sight of the plain walls. It was then that I realised I missed my things. I wanted to wear my my comfortable pyjamas, continue reading the book I bought from the op shop, even the junk I was collecting.

I thought about it for awhile - in truth - I was worried Blake would take this as a sign of moving on. Maybe it was part of the grand scheme of things? I take all my old belongings, burn them, and then start over?

"Sure, but, urh." He bites his lips. "Maybe you should come by another day?"

"Don't worry." I fumble with my fingers. "I don't mind if the house is messy or whatever."

It certainly isn't the first time I've seen the house in a messy state, and perhaps not the last with London on the loose.

Brushing past him, I walk into the house and down the hallway. I briefly hear a rustle and then a crashing noise. Blake runs into the house and dives past me. He manages to shut an open box discarded by my foot. Once the box is closed, he pushes it out of sight.

"Uh?" I frown.

"Just, you know." He shrugs. "Cleaning."

"Stress cleaning?" I ask.