Chapter Eight

The smell of brewing coffee hits me the second we step into the quiet café

 The smell of brewing coffee hits me the second we step into the quiet café. I assume the lack of customers is due to the early morning start opposed to the quality of the joint.

I was more than happy to spend my morning sleeping until my parents decided to have a spontaneous breakfast together. Somehow, that included me?

Mum tugs on my arm as she finds a table beside a large window overlooking the stunning clear beach. The blue waves ripple along the golden sand with ease, removing all trace of what was there before. If only life was like a beach, perhaps it could wash away all of my mistakes?

Dad grabs a couple of menus from the counter before taking a seat beside my mother. The light blue leather booth crinkles as he squeezes in. I'm thankful for the bountiful space surrounding me. At least I won't have to fight someone to get up.

He passes each of us a menu to browse through. Dad only makes it through the first page until he's reaching for the buzzing device stashed in his pant pocket.

"Sorry," he apologises as he walks away from the table.

"I hold him to turn that damn thing off," grumbles Mum. "Now he'll be stuck going to work."

"What are you going to order for breakfast?" I ask.

"Hm." She bites her lip. "I don't know, but I want one of these fancy teas."

"How about waffles?" I offer.

"Only if they have that yummy cream cheese sauce that comes with the pancakes." Her eyes light up with excitement.

I open the menu page to the breakfast section. There's all sorts of food from hash browns, bacon, breakfast burritos, eggs, toast, to pancakes, and waffles. Given such a wide variety of food to eat, it's almost impossible to decide. However, my mouth waters at the thought of the breakfast burritos with the beans and sausage.

After a couple of minutes, Dad returns to the table with a grim face.

"Is there something wrong?" asks Mum.

"That's work, I have to go," he explains.

"Are you sure?" Mum pouts. "There's bacon and everything on here."

"Yes, I'm sorry. It's an emergency and it can't wait until tomorrow. How about you two order anything you like, my treat?" Dad reaches for his pocket and hands her a fifty dollar note. Mum shoves the money into her bag and smiles.

"I'll see you later tonight," she says.

To avoid their awkward display of affection, I avert my gaze as Dad leans over the booth to kiss her. We wave goodbye as he walks out of the café and along the sidewalk leading to the car park.

"How are we going to get home?" I question.

"We can Uber it." She casually shrugs her shoulders.