Chapter Four

The mysterious stranger clings to my side like a stick stuck in the mud

The mysterious stranger clings to my side like a stick stuck in the mud. With one wrong step, we'd both end up on our faces. Despite the pathway being fine, by his wobbly steps make walking uneasy. Besides that, it shows me I need to drink more.

As we stumble down the sidewalk, the wind rushes past, blowing his sent in my direction. It's a mix of cheap whiskey and cigarette smoke. It's an interesting, yet toxic smell.The guy looks at me and smiles, a contagious one which leaves me grinning from ear to ear.

"We're almost there," he explains. "And I have the perfect kebabs picked out for us."

"Okay, but these better be good." I laugh.

It's been awhile since someone's taken on the role of making me food, that's always been a Blake thing. However, I'm excited and I have high expectations.

We walk across the street and then around another corner. The street isn't as busy as the bustle of the main nightclub strip, but it's a nice atmosphere. There's a couple of old bars dotted along the street, but mainly a string or retail / takeaway food shops.

    The stranger and I arrive in front of a bright lime green shop that sticks out against the dark night scene. The front display window has a couple of large New York style pizzas on display. I can see the melted cheese goop sliding down the crispy crust. My mouth waters at the thought. I could easily go for a kebab and a slice of pizza. Could I eat both? Probably not.

    I follow him into the small stuffy shop and to the even smaller counter. The old fashioned grey till sits beside another greasy display window. I grab a menu from the counter and examine it. He grabs the menu from my hands and throws it over his shoulder.

"Remember?" he asks. "I've already got the perfect meal planned out."

"I thought you were joking."

    "No." He laughs.   

"What can I get you?" The man behind the counter inquiries. He grabs a pad and pen, then waits.

"Yeah man, can I get a satay kebab combo with the chips?"

    "Yes." He scribbles the order down, then rips the page off and passes it to the man making the food. "That'll be ten dollars."

He grabs his wallet from his pocket and then tosses a plastic blue bill into the man's hand. We're then given a paper number ticket and told to wait to the side. The man staggers into a chair and hits his head on the wall on impact. I wince at the sound it makes, but he doesn't seem phased by the slight bump.

"Do you come here often?" I ask.

Taking a seat beside the stranger, I cross one leg over my knee and lean back in the chair. He slouches against the metal table and looks at me. A proud look consumes his slender face as he begins to explain.