Chapter Thirty-Seven

The pink balloon floats to the floor and joins the remainder of balloon's I've spent the morning blowing up

The pink balloon floats to the floor and joins the remainder of balloon's I've spent the morning blowing up. London's head pop's up from among the mass and smiles. She crouches to the ground, then pushes off with her legs to pounce on another balloon like a frog. The balloon is squished underneath her stomach and then it pops.

Laughter fills the room as she picks up the scraps of the balloon and tosses them into the air. The look of fascination crosses her face once more. This is the third balloon she's popped and somehow, it still amuses her? At least she's not afraid of the noise. Blake was worried that the balloon's popping might frighten her.

"Everyone should be here soon," says Blake.

"You do know I hate parties, right?" I ask.

"I thought you loved parties?"

"Yes, the alcoholic ones," I admit.

"Mum offered to take London for the night," explains Blake. "I could pack her bag?"

"Don't forget her stuffed toy this time." Blake nods his head, then races off to London's room.

Lucky enough, Blake and I manage to finish setting up the party decorations before anyone arrives. Jude is the first person to arrive alone, which isn't surprising. He struts through the house with a case of beer tucked under his arm. I hang to the side and watch Blake greet Jude.

"How are you?" he asks.

Jude places the beer on the table and frowns.

"Nothing a cold one can't fix."

"And Tori?" Blake asks.

"I won't make that mistake again," he dismisses.

Even though I'm team Blake for the custody, I can't help but feel for Tori. Somewhere between the darkness of our roller coaster, I'd found a friend in the last person I thought possible. Not only has she become a friend, but an untapped resource of my brother's past. If my brother could see the light shine through her, so could I.

"Let me put those in the fridge for you." Blake takes the case and Jude walks further into our home.

"Nice place." He shoots me a smile.

"Thanks." I reply.

"Juuudddie," London shouts. She wraps her little arms around his leg and looks up. Jude places his beer on the counter to pick up his niece.

"How's my princess?" he asks.

London gets shy and buries her head into Jude's neck. It's weird to see Jude and London together, but I assume they'd have bonded when London stays with Tori. Now that things are shaky, I imagine this house is going to get a lot of walk ins from Jude and Tori. It's a good thing we've got the spare room.

Jude sits on the couch with London and he pokes and tickles her side. She mumbles something about a princess while I wonder off to see Blake. He shoves the last of his beer into the fridge, then looks at me.