Chapter Nine

Tori's fingers tightly wrap around my arm as she pulls me down the hallway

Tori's fingers tightly wrap around my arm as she pulls me down the hallway. It's the first time I've been in her house, and I have a feeling I won't be getting a grand tour. She turns around a corner and I narrowly miss hitting my face on the brick wall.

My foot hits something plastic and I hear a kiddy jungle float through the air. I tumble over the discarded toy and almost fall, but before that happens, Tori's grip strengthens which balances out the weight. I don't fancy bruising my face, however, with this house that feels inevitable.

"Gee, hang on," I mutter.

"I'm just excited for you to see London, she's been missing you," replies Tori.

The dark hallway opens to a spacious living area cluttered with toys, blankets, and other boxes. I hear giggles but I can't spot London amongst the mess.

She crouches beside a chair and opens her arms.

"What on earth are you doing?" I inquire.

"Where's my little London," calls Tori. "Someone's here to visit you."

London staggers out from behind the three seater leather couch. With a bright grin and a delightful squeal, London launches herself into Tori's arm. She stands up and spins her in a circle.

Once they stop spinning around, Tori passes London to me. As I look down, I see her smile falter as she stares at me.

"Do you remember Ava?" asks Tori.

London cracks her head to the side and blinks. It makes me sad that she's almost forgotten me, but hey, that's my fault, I stopped seeing her.

Regardless, London cuddles her face into my neck and clutches my shirt in her fist. My heart skips a beat as I gaze down at her beautiful face.

"Hm," I murmur, "I missed you."

"I have an idea," says Tori. "How about we play outside? Uncle Jude just built a new playground for you."

Tori walks towards the backyard and I follow her. She tugs on the sliding door and we step outside into the beautiful sunny weather.

I place London on the grass and she quickly runs off to play. She staggers towards the sand pit and trips over the edging and face plants the sand. The slight hiccup doesn't seem to faze her by the slightest. It's almost like the incident never happened.

"She's so chilled," I comment.

"Yeah," agrees Tori. "Nothing seems to faze her, which is a worry. Just imagine her as a teen, she'll be raising hell."

"I wish I could be like that." I laugh. "And you're going to have your hands full. So enjoy the peace while you have it."

"About that." Tori goes silent which only accentuates the guilt written across her face.