Chapter Fourteen

Tori walks into the room with a product of face mask in each hand

Tori walks into the room with a product of face mask in each hand. One is a slender green tube while the other is a small white tub.

"Which one do you want?" she asks. "There's a cleansing one or a mud mask."

"Whatever you want." I shrug my shoulders. "I'm not fussed."

"Charlotte?" Tori turns her attention to across the room. I glance over my shoulder and see Charlotte give the same reaction.

"I don't care either," Charlotte explains. "But if you don't chose quickly, I'll eat all of these cucumber slices." She pops another two slices into her mouth and smiles.

"Mud mask it is then." Tori throws the other bottle onto the table before taking a seat beside me.

"I'll do your face first and then we'll go around in a circle," says Tori.

"Sure." I nod.

Tori opens the tub and begins applying the product to my face. The cream is cold at first, but as she rubs it in, there's a warm sensation bubbling across my skin. It feels refreshing and eventually fades, leaving a dry irritable feeling. I want to scratch my nose, but I know I can't.

From the corner of my eye, I see Charlotte coat the cucumbers in a type of oil that's supposed to make them smell pretty. I'm sure there's some kind of enriching benefit but I tuned out when Tori was waffling on about the benefits of facial care.

When Tori finishes mine, I take away the cucumbers and apply the cream to Charlotte's face. She squirms under my touch, but I manage to get it on. Tori is the easiest to do. Charlotte lathers it across her tanned complexion and then hands her two slices of cucumber.

The three of us recline on the couches with cucumber slices and a glass of red. I've never felt much like an adult until now . . . or an alcoholic. I suppose either one works.

"What are you guys wearing to Blake's party?" asks Tori. "I'm torn between pants or a dress."

Charlotte hums until she pipes in with her own answer, "I'm undecided at the moment."

"Blake asked me to wear a little black dress." I laugh.

"What about your new man?" inquires Tori. "You're so unofficially dating."

"There's no way." I shake my head. "All we're doing is having fun, and he knows that." Besides, I can't give my heart away if it already belongs to someone else . . .

"Are you going to bring Axel to the party?" asks Charlotte.

"Hm," I mumble. "It would be too weird."

"Axel is so nice, though," adds Charlotte.

"Would it be weird if you didn't?" offers Tori. "You could always ask him as a curiously?"

"It's Blake's party and I don't want to upset him," I reply. "But I'll think about it." Although, too much thinking about this complex situation will give me an unnecessary headache. I've already made a fool of myself with Blake, I don't want to do it again!