17. Brokenness

This chap's title is the same as in I BEG YOU when it was Emma's 18th bday haha now this is 5 years after.

COMMENT EVERY SINGLE REACTION - like srsly I'D RLLY LIKE TO KNOW

She's planned to go have dinner with her parents on her birthday with Henry. She has already told Killian about that but he just gave her a warming smile and told her "That's good". She doesn't think he remembers that tomorrow is actually her birthday.

She actually wishes he wouldn't. She doesn't know what he could possibly do because of that.

She hated her birthday. She hated surprises. She hated not having surprises. She just wished it didn't need a celebration.

Killian had already gone to his work.

She was just going to go to sleep right now and pretend tomorrow she was just having a random dinner at her parents' house.

She looks at the watch.

11:59pm

He looks at the watch.

Her birthday is in one minute and he can't bloody go there now.

Smee owed him and so he asked if he could do his shift tonight so that he could go to Emma.
He accepted but he was late, a text from him saying he'd be there as fast as he could.

Killian kept doing his work, vexed. He wondered if he should text her, show her that he remembered of her.

But no, he was going to surprise her. Tell her personally.

When Smee arrived, it was twenty minutes past midnight. He said goodbye and ran out to his car, only stopping in the way to buy a medium chocolate cake.

When he got home, the whole house was silent and dark.

She was probably asleep.

He took his time in the kitchen, grabbing 24 candles and a sparkler candle, handkerchiefs and a fork.

He climbed up the stairs, spotting Buckley stepping out of his room, awake because of his arrival.

Smelling the scent of the chocolate treat, the dog curiously followed behind Killian as he entered the semi-dark room where Emma was sleeping.

She had left her blinds open. Stubborn lass. Many were the nights that he came from work to find them open.
They weren't in a building. He didn't want to risk any chance.

He sat on one of the sides of the bed that she had left empty - she always curled herself to sleep, using little of her bed space.

He bent down to her, placing the plate with the cake and candles upon the blanket.

He was actually surprised she didn't awake with him here.

After lightning the candles, he grabbed her hand, realizing how cold he was from the outside compared to the comfortable blankets of her bed.

"Emma." he lowly called for her, caressing her thumb and shaking her hand.

She opened her eyes in a second, her chest rising to hold her breath until she could understand what was going on.

"Hey, look what I have here." he then picked up the plate, slowly not to make her jump with the sight of the fire, posing it on his knee and lightning the sparkler candle.

"Oh my God."

Apart from the exhaustion and confusion in her face, he couldn't help but smile at himself when she realized what was happening here.
Her face completely brightened up, her hand rubbing her cheeks as if she was rubbing off her sleep but he knew she was just trying to cover her blush as he sang the happy birthday song to her.

"... happy birthday to you." he sang it slowly while she admired the sweetness of his voice. Oh how she had missed it.

Emma blew her candles, both of them laughing when one of them wouldn't fade out.

"Could you just-" she asked for his help and he quickly put it out. "Weren't you supposed to be at work?"

"A friend of mine owed me. I took the night off. And before you can say anything, I did this because I wanted to."

He totally took the words out of her mouth. Though, she sighed. "Thank you for this."

"I just... I have something-" he went to grab the small wrap on the pocket of his jacket, showing it to her, the wrapping paper printed with small pacifiers on a baby-blue background color.

"I- I don't need-"

He understood the hesitation. It was a surprise.

Just like when she turned 18 and he gave her the necklace, she hesitated. Because it was a surprise.
It was the fear of a bad surprise. Years and years of experience of that made her fear them.

"I know. It's okay. You'll like it." he reassured her. "Well I hope you will." he teased her.

She looked at him trying to reassure herself that it was okay before taking the small bag in her hands and opening it.

"I can't see anything, though." she laughed and he made a silly face before grabbing the glasses that were on her nightstand and handing them to her.

The same glasses that she used 5 years ago.

"You do love necklaces, don't you?" she teased him, after she put her glasses on, and that made him scratch behind his ear.

"Sorry, love. Didn't realize I was getting so uncreative." he laughed.

"Oh, Killian." she gasped when she saw what it was. On the string were hanging two small medallions, the words H and E graved on it. "Thank you. Thank you so much. This is beautiful."

"You like it?"

"I love it."

She was holding the golden string in the palm of her hand and then she looked up, wanting to thank him more but not knowing how.

She's always been better with acts than words.

She pulled him into a hug, her arms circling around his neck while his involved her by her stomach. She could feel his hands running through her back, drawing lines as he comforted her.

When she tried to move as a sign to pull away, he didn't.
And so they kept like that.

Her heart beating fast at first and slowly relaxing in his arms as - what seemed like - hours passed, his chin on top of her head and his fingers playing with the tips of her hair.

When he felt her arm sliding down his chest, he was surprised to find out she had fallen asleep, her cheek against his neck and his shoulder supporting her chin.

He didn't move. He held her for a bit longer, memorizing every single detail of what holding her again after 5 years felt like. Of what holding the woman you loved, the woman that you let go and never got back, felt like.

5 years ago, he had given her a necklace that said "You're my home". Right now? He wanted to tell her he loved her and her son, that they could all be a family with Henry.

She was the woman of his life, he knew it. He's always known it.

He was just so screwed to know what to do now.

After a while, he opened her warm soft fingers to grab the necklace in her hand and place it on her bedside table. He carefully laid her back down and he also took the cake with him to the kitchen, clearly untouched.

So my mom used to bring a cupcake and candles to my bed and wake me up with it and I remember that many of the times that that happened, I freaking woke up with a startle because I thought my house was on fire.

Advice: wake the person and tell her you have a cake instead of shoving it in front of her face and freaking scare her to death.