43. A Future

I'm with some lack of inspiration, guys... probably because I miss captainswan a lot geeeeeeez I'm so glad they're coming back this weekend. And also because I've been on vacation this week and I mostly get my ideas by living (and I've just been all day on the couch) and on school (bc classes are boring and CS is all I think about).

So yeah, sorry for the late update haha

COMMENT UR THOUGHTS

Henry turns 1 on a Friday.

And if we think about it, today is not just a birthday.
Exactly one year ago by now, an 8-month pregnant Emma was on her way to her favorite book's con.

And oh, how it didn't turn out to be just a con.

It was actually the best day of her life, so far.

Now? She's thinking about all this while she lies in his arms and enjoys the calming silence before one of her men wakes up (yes, with men she's referring to her baby son and her 5-year-old ridiculously romantic boyfriend).

"Go back to sleep, Killian!!!!" he startles her when she suddenly hears his voice, trying to imitate her whenever she complains about him always waking up so early and she blurts out laughing.

"I don't talk like that."

"You do when you're angry at me."

"I'm never angry at you." she says and looks up, pressing her chin on his chest to look at him. He raises his eyebrows at her and that's all it takes to form a grin on her face. "I'm never truly angry at you."

---

They have a big day ahead.

She asked her father for the morning off so that she could spend some quality time with Henry, since at night her parents, Anna, Elsa and Jeff are coming for dinner.

Despite the little reunion a few months ago with Elsa, she hasn't seen her since then with all that's been going on... and she hasn't even seen Anna at all as the two sisters had been distant at the time she met with Elsa.

"My little lad is becoming a big man, hun?"

"Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!"

"He's only 1." Emma defends, before turning to Henry. "Don't let Killian get into your head. You're still my little baby."

"Prepare yourself, 'cause I'm afraid your mother will only let you leave this house once your hair is white."

She laughs at that but her back goes stiff very quickly when she realizes what he's just said. Leave this house.

He considers a future in this house. He's really in this for the long haul.

"That's a long time." She sighs, not sure he even heard her.

He doesn't say anything as he sits on the kitchen island in front of her and places the pan with scrambled eggs between the plates.

Her eyes try to reach his but he's always looking down. She knows he's preparing himself for the conversation that it's coming, so she lets him.

"You intend on having him here until he's that old, hun?" she says because she thinks that's the best way to approach the subject.

"I didn't mean it like that, love."

She's not sure what to think now.

Maybe she was the one who read too much into it and got the wrong impression.

"It's been a year, already." she says, looking down. She hates being unsure, she hates not knowing what's coming next - because that means she won't be ready to defend herself. Her walls have gone down and she knows she doesn't need to bring them up with Killian, but what if life throws her another surprise?

She also didn't think she needed her defenses when he left her 5 years ago. How did it get her? Broken.

"Do you even intend on leaving?" his tone isn't accusatory, but more out of curiosity.

And then, she decides to fight her fear of suffering from what she might see and she lifts up her chin and sees him.

She finally reads him and sees the mutual fear in his sparkling eyes and she understands.

They've gone apart once. How easily it would be for it to happen again...

"Do I even have to leave?" she asks, her voice small as she gives him a smirk that seems to ease the tension in his body.

He shakes his head, slowly at first and then more secure of himself.

"What we have going on here is good. Really good." she says. A few seconds after, she finally takes a deep breath before saying what she's been holding for so many months. "Actually, I don't intend to leave at all." She blinks fast and damm him for being the only person that can make her cry for small things like this - because that's the thing: when it comes to him, it's never about small things. "I see a future here. A good one... and I don't want to let it go."

"You could have said that months ago, Swan, and you would have spared me from sleepless nights thinking about the day you'd want to leave. You and the lad." He stands up but his body is still leaned against the chair, playing with his hands in a nervous gesture under the table.

"Did you really think that?" She chuckles.

"It feels like..." he sighs in exhaustion from carrying all these thoughts to himself all these months "- like it's too good to be true."

She's always been holding herself back because breaking apart could happen all over again, because it has already happened once.
The thing is, it's exactly the opposite.

They now know what it's like to live without the other. They know what it's like to lose the ones they love.
That will forever be a constant reminder of what they don't want to happen again, and, no matter what, that will make them fight for them. To be together. To never lose each other.

"I think life has already taught us its lesson." She gets up and walks around the table to reach him.

"LAAAAAHI" a loud, startling sound comes out of Henry's mouth when she's holding Killian's hands and they both turn around to check on Henry who is happily playing with some tupperware boxes - Killian usually says it's him building his castle.

"And what is... this lesson?" He laughs at Henry, before turning his attention to Emma and their previous conversation.

She doesn't need words. She brings her lips to his, her hands holding him on his waist and he holds the back of her head, his other hand rubbing her back.

It says everything.

It says I won't let go again.

We deserve this future.

We will fight for it.

Because we count as one now.

A family.

And it's time to Complete what was left Incomplete.

You can say that I gained some inspiration halfway through the chapter 😂😂😂