22. Fighting Back

I have to admit this fanfic was gonna take a loooong time for them to be finally together but while I was writing this chap, I decided to accelarate a bit the proccess ;)

COMMENT EVERY SINGLE THOUGHT LMAO THIS IS GONNA BE PAINFUL

They only argued again 4 days after when Killian realized she wasn't going to talk to him if he didn't.

"Can we talk?" He asked, his arms crossing in front of her chest.

"Oh I intended on doing that after you left me in the kitchen."

"We've been living in the same house for months and you had all this time to say something. Now it's my fault I finally open my bloody mouth?!"

"Seriously, you haven't grown one bit. You're just like I remember when you left me."

"You talk about it like I am a bad memory."

"Because you're supposed to be a good one?!" she asks in disbelief. "My life fucking crumbled after you left me."

"And mine didn't?!"

The thing about holding back everything you're feeling for a long time is that once you let anything out, everything comes right after.

"Will you, once and for all, admit the truth?" he asked between his teeth.

"What truth?" she shook her head and blinked her eyes in a pained way, because she knew what was coming, she knew he was finally confronting her.

"You're seriously choosing to ignore it? Again?!" he said after his fingers circled around her small wrist, his touch making her shiver.

He was desperate. She could feel it in his hold.

"Seriously, are you going to stop-"

"Stop avoiding what's going on here, Emma. It's been 5 years-"

"Let go of me." she said clenching her teeth.

"-and I'm tired of this. I know that son of a bastard hurt you but you know me. Nothing's changed-"

"Oh nothing's changed..." she starts laughing and shakes her head with sarcasm.

"-and since when do you use that armor on me?! I need to know- do you love me?"

She freezes. Maybe it's the words that are too strong. Maybe it's because he's still strongly holding her wrist.
She can't say anything.

Even if she says yes, they'll never go back to that time they pushed each other on their way home and then fall on the not-so-comfortable-as-it-looks snow on top of each other, laughing non-stop.
Those times are unreachable, long gone.

She has her son now. Neal used her. She went to jail. She gained her life working at a diner.
She's broken.

"I loved you."

And then she's breaking him.

His hand leaves her and suddenly she can't feel him anymore.
He's gritting his teeth and his eyes don't leave her until he gives her a small nod.

For a moment, she's relieved that she lied. She will leave her now for good. She won't be hurt again. She will just keep going with her life with Henry and her parents and that's how it is meant to be- what is she saying? She's lying to herself, now, too.

"I need some fresh air." he says, as if telling her he won't run away.

She watches him walk out the door and then she loses her balance and she holds herself against the wall.