Accalia - Chapter 7

As we were walking down the stairs we heard Colin shouting from the kitchen. Dolph started to drag me along behind him in his haste to find out what was going on.

Walking into the kitchen I could see Colin stood in front of the kitchen table and Randall and Randolf a couple of feet away from him. They weren’t looking Colin in the eyes, showing submission. Colin was angry; you could see it in his expression.

“What’s going on?” Dolph asked. His voice came out stressed.

“The rogue is back. The same one from last time.” Colin fumed. He started to pace back and forth between the table and the back door. “Why is he back? What does he want?” Colin seemed to go into his own world.

Dolph looked at the twins for more information. They looked up at Dolph but with reluctance as if ready to show submission at any moment. Come to think of it most people around the house seemed to look that way whenever Colin or Dolph was around. I would have to ask about that later. Wow I seem to have a lot of questions these days.

“We caught the sent and followed it along the border. It was the exact one that was around when Cailean was pregnant with Ace.” Randall explained to Dolph.

“How old are you guys? How do you remember when my mother was pregnant with me? I swear you can’t be that old.” I looked at the twins expecting an answer.

They both looked at me at the same time and said simultaneously. “One hundred.” My mouth gaped open. Dolph was chuckling next to me. I’m assuming at the expression on my face. The twins each got a smirk on their faces.

Shaking my head, I let go of Dolph’s hand and went to get myself a glass of water. “Wow.” Deciding not to linger on thoughts of how old people were.

I could hear the guys talking but I couldn’t be asked to pay attention. “I’m gonna find Megz.” I said as I walked out the kitchen and into the hall way, and straight toward Connell who was leaning against the wall at the bottom of the staircase.

“Ace, can I speak to you?” He asked looking at me.

“Sure. Want to go into the front room?” He nodded and led the way into the room that brought back memories already and I’ve not been in the house long.

“So what did you want to talk about?” I asked one the door was closed.

“I told Megz that she’s my mate.” He looked me in the eye as if challenging me. “ You know what it’s like to have a mate, and I’m sure Dolph has shown you what he feels. Protective, possessive stuff like that.” He was standing in front of me, staring me in the eye. I wasn’t happy but I kind of knew that he was Megz mate, and I knew I couldn’t change that. “I love her already and all she’s done is avoid me. I want you to help me get her.”

Was he serious? He did hear my warning the other day right?

“You want my help?” I was not going to get mad. I was going to act like an adult. “Look, yes I know what it’s like to have a mate but every relationship is different. I’m only trying to protect Megz from a serious relationship for a little longer because she hasn’t fully recovered from the last one.” I know I was saying too much and was potentially signing Megz ex’s death certificate, but do you know what? I don’t care.

“I know you wouldn’t intentionally hurt her but I’m not willing to go and get my best friend hurt over an assumption.” I continued. “What did she say when you told her?” I decided I was going to give him a shot if Megz was alright with it.

“She didn’t really react. She just said ‘okay’ and closed her door in my face.” He looked really heartbroken as if he was reliving the memory. I could see his pain was real. “And I really didn’t carry her to my room the other night and I didn’t do anything to her either.”