D A Y C A M P

I never told you how I started falling huh? It's a fun story.

The first week of school the administration shoves all 200 of the high-schoolers onto a bus and drive us 30 minutes to a day camp in the middle of a city but in the middle of nowhere. I, personally, was not excited for this years trip to day camp simply because I was a high-school senior and "all my friends" were going to the beach to rent surfboards and I would much rather go to that. 

But alas,  My mother signed the permission slip and I was forced to go.  At the last minute Jacksons mom said he couldn't go either because he had to drive his brother to the camp and back home afterwards. I, of course, was ecstatic because that means he'd hang out with me the whole time. But at the time I was ecstatic in a friend way, he was my only friend worth hanging out with going. I told him to bring his bathing suit because I'd gone for 3 years and never gotten in the lake and "it was happening this year damnit!" 

The day came and I tried my best to look presentable without really making it noticeable. We got to the camp and I walked into the room where we'd be spending the first hour or so getting talked to by a bunch of people. Since I attended a Christian school it was a Christian camp so there was music and singing and a message then they let us go play and swim with shirts on. Anyway, I walked in and I immediately saw him. I was wearing a band shirt that was kinda his favorite. I honestly did it on purpose. I was so conflicted jeeze. I walked over to the wall he was sitting against and sat next to him.  They started all the singing and I sang along. The music was loud but I heard him kinda laugh, I turned to him and said "what?" I all of a sudden felt super hot and embarrassed but he was smiling at me "what?" I asked again. He just smiled and shook his head. I didn't sing very much after that. I just kind of stood there and just felt him standing behind me. I decided that I was going to take him to my hiding place in the forest at the camp. It was in the no-go zone but that didn't stop me from going with my boyfriend at the time. I shuddered at the thought of that boy and my eyes glanced around the room looking for the familiar face. I threw my ex into the back of my mind when I heard someone slide down the wall. I angled my body so that I could see Jackson without actually turning around, he was looking at me. Singing ended and I sat on the floor next to him. We quietly joked and made faces at each other until they dismissed us. 

I grabbed his hand and made a b-line for the secret place. I wanted to get there before my ex just in case he decided to drag that girl he totally messed around with along with him. We dashed into the woods and I found my way to the little slice of heaven and clarity I could find at this place. And now, Jackson was here with me. Little did I know this single day was going to start a domino effect to the rest of my life.