B A L L O O N S

In May of 2017, a few weeks shy of our high-school graduation, Jackson and I helped "chaperone" the schools annual 8th grade dance. As the evening rolled around  I got all cute and put on shoes that I knew would hurt my feet within 5 minutes of the dance actually starting. My job was to get the french fries that the 8th graders had suggested themselves. I, thinking it would be easy, hopped out of the car and walked into the McDonalds with ease. 

My mom drove away to the school to start setting up for the party, she was in charge of everything party related, Jackson would be there momentarily to help me bring them back to the school. I walk up to the counter and hand them my receipt and tell them I'm here to pick up the fries. 100. Dollars. Worth. Of. French Fries. By the time we were done loading them into the back of his van there were at least 6 dags full to the brim with large orders of McDonalds fries. I thought it was gross. I think Jackson thought it was funny. 

As the night went on I think we had more fun than the 8th graders did. There was so much dancing and joking around and silly photo booth pictures that I have hanging in my room to this day. But that wasn't the best part of my night. 

Eventually we got bored right? 13 year olds have terrible taste in music so naturally Jackson and I snuck outside and went to the playground. We got on the swings and talked and see who could swing higher and jump the farthest. we stumbled around the campus laughing and joking around. I think we chased a cat down the outside Junior High hallway. 

When we got back inside the party was winding down and my mom was cutting balloons loose and giving the to the kids as they left. Jackson started grabbing purple balloons from the ceiling. 

He had maybe 7 or 8 in his hand when he looked at me and said "come on." He held my hand and led me back outside.

"What are we doing?" 

"We're going to let them go" I followed him to the very middle of the soccer field. Me and him held the balloons together and made promises to each other. I took a step back and watched him as he let the balloons go.  We stood there together and watched as they floated into the night sky, disappearing out of sight.  Even when they were gone we just stood there. The perfect ending to a fun night. 

"I love you"

"I love you too"