Dylan O'Brien x Reader

With only a few weeks left before you have to return to high school, you decide to take advantage of every last hour you have to yourself before its back to crowded hallways and annoying teachers. That meant cozying up in your room watching all of your favorite movies with pajamas on, your hair looking a mess, and a bare face.

You're so wrapped up in what's happening on your laptop screen that you don't even hear your phone buzzing right next to you until it's too late to pick up the call and it goes to voicemail.

Looking at the screen, you see that you have 3 unread messages from the contact "Dylan(?)".

Dylan is a guy you're sort of on the fence with, hence the question mark. A lot of people you go to school to call the awkward stage between being friends with someone and dating them the "talking stage", which is what you two were doing. You both know you're attracted to one another and spend a lot of time together, but neither of you has made a move to take things to the next level.

You unlock your phone to view the messages.

They read;

"Hey. So, I think I left my charger at your house yesterday. Could you check? I sort of really need it."

"Don't mean to be annoying but did you check yet? Phones on 13 percent..."

And;

"Alright, you're not answering so I'm just gonna stop by and hope you're home. The phone is now on 5%."

Panic sinks in.

Dylan has never seen you looking so... laid back. Your hairs not brushed, you don't have a nice outfit on, and you're not wearing any form of makeup. Not even Chapstick.

Before you can get out of bed to at least try and cover your dark circles, Dylan enters your room. One of your family members must have let him in. Traitors.

You scoff, "Wow, knocking would be nice. I could have been doing anything in here." Before he even gets the chance to open his mouth and greet you.

"Wow, answering my messages would be nice."

You and Dylan always went back and forth like this, but right now you're not in the mood.

"Leave me alone, Dylan," comes out, hoping he takes it jokingly but knowing you mean it seriously.

"Okay, fine. I just need my charger and I'll leave you to do whatever it is you're apparently doing in here."

Now you feel bad.

"Don't. I'm sorry, you just caught me off guard that's all."

You nonchalantly try to smooth out the loose hairs and cover up the acne makeup usually hides for you by placing your hands in front of your face.

It doesn't end up looking too casual because Dylan notices. "Why are you doing that?"

"Doing what?"

"Covering your face with your hands."

He grabs your wrists and lowers them so your whole face is exposed. You never felt as vulnerable in front of him as you do now.

Avoiding eye contact, you let out, "I look horrible. If I knew you were coming I would have put makeup on or something. I just don't feel comfortable, that's all."

Dylan's eyes start to wonder as if he's thinking of the right wording for what he's about to say.

"You don't feel comfortable simply because you're not wearing makeup, or because I'm here when you're not wearing makeup?"

That was a good question, one which you didn't even know how to answer.

So instead you said, "You've just always seen me with my acne covered up and my under eye circles gone. I wanted to keep that allusion going for a little while longer. It feels like that scene in Shrek when he discovers Princess Fiona is really an ogre."

A crooked smile forms on his face.

"Maybe to you it feels like that, but you're forgetting the main point of the story. Shrek was also an ogre. And they got married at the end. I'm not saying you and I are gonna go get hitched now cause I saw you without makeup, I mean we're still in high school, but it's not that big of a deal to me. I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out, and either way, you look absolutely stunning every time I see you, Y/N. This time even more stunning because it's literally effortless beauty."

You start blushing and look up at Dylan thinking of what to say, but no words could express how beautiful he just made you feel.

Instead, you lock gazes until you slowly inch toward him and press your lips against his for the first kiss you two have ever shared. It isn't one of those unrealistically passionate kisses you see in the movies, but it's a sweet peck and you're content with that for now.

You pull away with a smile on your face and a mental reminder to finally remove the question mark from his name in your contacts.