Zac Efron X Reader

"Zac! What the hell are you doing?" you exclaim, walking back into the house you share with your boyfriend, laden down with groceries.

He barely looked up from where he was lounging on the sofa in just his underwear, scrolling through his phone.

"Zac!" you say again, exasperatedly.

"What?" he grumbles, finally giving you his full attention.

"My parents are coming over in like 10 minutes! Why aren't you dressed?"

You dump the groceries on the coffee table and place your hands on your hips.

"What!" he says again, sitting up straight. "Shit!"

With that, he ran upstairs.

From the ground floor, you could hear drawers banging and then for some reason the shower start.

Rolling your eyes, you left him to it and made a start on the dinner.

"Babe?" a soft voice called from outside the kitchen.

Moving to stand in the doorway, you find Zac standing in nothing but a towel, holding two shirts up for your approval.

Before you could reply, your parents had let themselves in the front door without knocking. Internally, you cursed their lack of privacy.

"Oh," your mother exclaimed in surprise. "Sorry!"

Your father made a disapproving noise, as though he knew that this sort of behavior must happen but wasn't too happy to have it pushed on him in this way.

Embarrassed, Zac made a bit of awkward eye contact and shot back upstairs to finish getting ready.

"Um," you laugh, awkwardly trying to offer an explanation. "Sorry about that! He couldn't decide what to wear."

"Oh don't worry sweetie," your mum replied. "Not like he was actually naked."

Eventually, Zac makes his way back downstairs, cheeks still tinged pink. Dinner was almost ready so instead of sitting with your parents in the living room, he decided to lay the table. You couldn't help but laugh at him. He'd been in dozens of movies shirtless or worse, some which your parents had no doubt seen, but he was still embarrassed to have been caught by them in just a towel.

"Stop laughing at me," he muttered through gritted teeth.

"Sorry, it's just aha-," laughter consumed you again before you could finish your sentence.

"Stop it!" he hissed, but your laugh was infectious and he couldn't hold back a smile as well.

Dishing up, you called your parents to the table.

Once you were all seated and about to eat, the four of you could converse properly. There was still a bit of an awkward atmosphere, mainly radiating from Zac and your dad. You and your mother tried to diffuse the tension by chatting constantly.

"Well, we've booked a nice weekend away in Paris which should be fun haven't we dear?" your mum said, gesturing to your dad.

"Ooh how romantic," you replied. "I've always wanted to go there, it's something we've talked about doing one day, haven't we Zac?"

"You definitely should! I'm hoping we can do one of those lovelocks on the bridge thing!" your mum said.

The conversation continued, discussing all the places you'd like to visit in France and throughout Europe. Both your dad and Zac didn't make much comment.

The conversation eventually turned to your cousin who had recently got engaged.

"They're a wonderful couple, he did such a romantic proposal!" your mum gushed, your father nodding.

"I'm so happy for her, I think she's going to be a bit of a bridezilla though," you laughed. "I heard she got into a fight at a bridal shop over a veil!"

"Have you two ever thought about getting married?" your mum asked.

"Uhh, it's not something we've really discussed," you stammer, looking pointedly at Zac to help you. Only he didn't help you, he did something totally unexpected.

"I'd love to marry y/n, she's completely and utterly perfect," Zac said with more confidence than he'd had all evening. "This wasn't how I planned it, but...y/n will you marry me?"

Mouth agape, you had no idea what to say.

Obviously, you loved Zac and he was without a doubt your soulmate, but this wasn't the way you'd expected it to happen at all.

"I uh I – of course, I will!" you leap out from your seat and into Zac's arms.

Your parents let out a cheer at your answer and the sudden proposal.

They joined you in the hug, all the awkwardness from earlier on in the evening forgotten.

"Congratulations," they both cried.

"We're so happy for you," your dad said, patting Zac on the back. "We couldn't ask for a better son in law. Even if we have seen him mostly naked."

Zac went upstairs to collect the ring he'd bought, you'd never suspected a thing, and you cracked open the champagne.

After the celebrations with your parents were done, they left, thank you for dinner but didn't want to take up more celebration time.

"I'm sorry," Zac said as the front door closed.

"Sorry? What for? The ring is beautiful!" you say, holding it up to admire it again.

"That wasn't how I planned to propose at all and I kind of blurted it out because I was feeling awkward and under pressure," he admitted.

Seeing your face drop he quickly added:

"Of course I don't regret it! I've had the ring for ages, I was just waiting for the right moment."

"Well anyway you would've proposed would be perfect, because I love you! I can't believe we're engaged!" you squeal, pouncing on him.

"I know! And I love you too," Zac pressed a firm kiss to your lips. "Now, shall we celebrate properly?"