10

*6 Months Later*

          I sat down on the couch with my Ramen and a book when the phone rang. Roslyn scampered out of her room to pick it up.

          "Daddy?!" She asked, smiling. Her face fell and she gave me the phone.

          "Hello?" I asked.

          "Hello, Ilse." Cole said.

"Cole? Why are you calling here?" I asked.

"That's not a nice way to greet me, Ils." I couldn't find the words to say, and slammed the phone down.

Maureen slid next to Roslyn. "Why don't you girls go find the cats and let mommy read." They ran away and I got back to reading. But not really. I let my mind wander. David hadn't called in weeks. Every time the phone rang they thought it was him. Cole was acting creepy again and I felt unsafe.

          The phone rang again. This time I picked it up. "Hello, love. It's David." He purred, sounding very different. My breath hitched and I almost choked.

          "Hello." I said back. The girls were back at my side with wide eyes. I coughed. "Hmm. You don't, uh, sound to good. What's wrong." He laughed historically and realized he was high. "David I don't have time for this. I'm going to my parents for a while, call me there if you want. But not when you're like this." I paused thinking of what to say next. "I love you." And slammed the phone down.

          "Ok Ros. Go help your sister pack her suitcase." I headed to the direction of my room, stopping on the way to look at myself in the mirror. "Get a hold of yourself." I whispered before continuing on.

***

          I helped the girls into the car and got in myself. The whole ride there they slept. Maureen had her hand on a little stuffed cow and Ros had wrapped her arms around her.

          When we got there, the boys came running out of the house. "Dad told us you were staying here." Billy said.

"Yeah. In the guest house." I replied. "Egan can you get Ros out?" He unbuckled the seatbelt and carried her in. I took Maureen inside and lay her on the couch with Ros before turning to the boys and rubbing my hands together.

           "Okay. So what now?" I said smiling. They both started to laugh as I chased them to the barn. We got the horses ready and jumped on as soon as possible. While the boys wee getting up I took a moment to run my hands over the ribbons that me and Leo had won together.

I hopped on as soon as I heard the boys leave. Leo galloped ahead of old Candace and Cadence and stoped in front of them briskly.

Billy turned his head to Egan. "I told you. This is why I tried to convince dad to give him to me." I smiled and tilted my head.

"Ha ha. Very funny you two. But I think that me and Leo are going to start competitions again. Isn't that right Leo." His ears moved a little bit before he raised his head and stomped the air. "Hya!" I yelled and he took off again.