24

David pushed me up against the wall and kissed me passionately. "I love you." He said as he pulled away only for a second before kissing me again.

          "David," I said. He kissed me again. "David, no." I turned my head and he looked at me confused, with his lips slightly parted. Deep down in my stomach, I started to feel sick.

          I slide down the wall and put my head between my knees. "Ilse? Are you okay?" I heard David ask, but it seemed far away. All I could do was moan as the feeling got worse. "Ilse. I'm going to get help. Don't worry." His voice was shaky and so was he as he picked me up.

          As David brought me to the car, I tried to open my eyes, only to be greeted with a blur of green and blue. "Ilse!" David cried, "keep your eyes open. Please!" I could feel his tears fall on my face.

         He lay me in the back seat and scrambled as fast as he could to the front seat. I pressed my hand to my hands to my ears and squeezed my eyes shut tight to keep the cacophony of sound and colors at bay.

"It's okay, Ils." David had started to calm down a little, I could hear it in his voice. I pressed my face into the seat and moaned before passing out.

***

I could hear David talking quickly as I open my eyes and looked up at him. He looked down. Even worried he was still beautiful.

"It's okay, Ilse. We're here." I closed my eyes again as I felt David and one of the doctors lay me down on a stretcher. David took hold of my hand and kissed my knuckles. I looked at him and then at the passing fluorescent lights. A set of swinging doors pushed open and David let go of my hand. I could see him from the foot of the stretcher as I grabbed for him.

"David!" I managed to croak. He watched me nervously as the nurses wheeled me into the examination room.

          When they brought me into the dimly lit room, I was hooked up to an IV before passing out.

***

          When I started to come to, I saw the top of Davids head. With the hand that he was not holding I stroked his hair. He lifted his head and kissed my chin.

          "What's wrong with me?" I asked, just cutting to the chase so I could just know.

         "Ilse..." he trailed off. I looked at him and started to say something. He held up his hand and dropped his head. "It's Crohn's. the headache was from dehydration." I let out a sigh and dropped my head back to the pillow.

          "David," I said. He looked up again. "I love you."