19

I walked into the living room of our rental house, and there's Ilse. Curled up under a big blanket with a bowl of popcorn, watching Phantom of the Opera once again.

She looked up. "I like to imagine what it would be like if I was Christine and what I would do."

"What would you do, Ils?" I asked her tilting my head and sitting on the edge of the couch.

"I would have stayed with the Phantom." She replied nodding. "I would have stayed with him because he sang his heart out for me and would do anything to help me." I laid down in her lap and she played with my hair. The movie was almost over, it was at the part when Christine took of the phantoms mask; Ilse's favorite part because she knew in a short while they would kiss.

I sang the Phantoms part to her. "Anywhere you go let me go too." I looked at her. "Christine, that's all I ask of..." she smiled that split second before the Phantom was cut off by Christine taking off the mask and the organ music playing.

She sighed. "I love this movie so much." There were tears in her eyes.

"What's wrong?" I asked her.

"I miss my daughters." She said. She leaned into me and let her tears soak my shirt. "When can they come here?" She asked.

"I will get them here as soon as possible." I answered. "I'll call your parents tomorrow." She sobbed one more time and looked up at me with her big green Bambi eyes.

          "Th-thank you." She whispered. I kissed her forehead and sighed.

          "Are you hungry?" I asked. She shook her head and closed her eyes.

          "No, just tired." She answered.

          "Me too." I said, moving closer to her. I looked back at the movie and Christine kissed the Phantom. Ilse smiled and had tears in her eyes again.

          "I would have stayed with him." She whispered again.

***

          After the movie ended, I carried Ilse to the bedroom. While I walked there, she nuzzled her face in my neck. "You smell good." She mumbled smiling with her eyes closed.

          I placed her on the bed and changed her into her sweatpants and a t-shirt before tucking her into bed. I walked out of the room and closed the door halfway before heading out to the poolside.

          Sticking a cigarette between my teeth, I mumbled some lyrics.

You walked into my life, out of my dreams.
Sweet name, you're born once again for me.

          I crushed out the cigarette, blew  smoke out of my nose, and headed to bed.