13

I woke up to the smell of coffee. Smell, I thought. I can smell. A good sign. Then I stood up from bed and walked out to the kitchen to see my beautiful wife cooking breakfast. When I sat down, she slid an omelette in front of me. I looked up at her and smiled. Life was coming pretty easy.

          When I surprised her yesterday, I was nervous about what she was going to do. Yell? Slap me, maybe? But not hug me. With her not around I went into a deep depression. Halfway through the tour I realized that I couldn't travel without her.

          Violet jumped on my lap and rubbed her head under my chin. I ran my fingers and kissed her nose before putting her back on the floor. "I have another race today." Isle stated. The color drained out of my face.

          "Ok- okay." I stammered. When I heard she was competing again I was nervous. Mostly because I wasn't there to protect her. ILse has been far away, somewhere in her mind, since I got back yesterday.

I finished my breakfast and brought the plate to the sink. Ilse was tinkering with something and it fell to the floor. "Ilse?"

"It's Roslyn's inhaler. She broke it playing outside." I didn't even know she had asthma.

"Listen Ilse. I know I've been a shitty husband but I want to make it up to you."

"How the hell are you going to that, David?" She turned around and all of the composure she had held broke apart. She fell into my arms and cried as hard as her body would let her. The girls walked in and hugged her legs.

          "Don't cry mommy." Ros said tears brimming at her eyes. Ilse wiped her eyes with the back of her hand.

           "I'm not." She stepped out of my arms and turned away. "Lets go get dressed." She walked away and guided them to their room, out of my view.