9

We dropped the girls off at Ilse's parents house and headed almost two hours away to the nearest town, where we hoped to see a film. We talked for a while before she started to laugh. "What's so funny?" I asked.

          "David!" She wiped tears from her eyes and laughed more. "Your accent is... so out of place here!" She burst out laughing again. I looked at her and smiled before speaking.

          "You're quite the joker." I said emphasizing my accent and pouting. She put her hand on my leg and I took it. I opened my mouth, about to say what I was preparing to tell her the whole car ride, but she looked so happy I just couldn't bring myself to it.

We arrived into the little town an hour later. I took her to an early movie before dinner. Ilse held her spoon up and twirled it. "So, David, I was thinking-" she got cut off by a waiter, who was looking at her with wide eyes.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, would you like dessert?" Ilse looked at me and winked. I shook my head.

"No thank you, we will be fine." I said before looking looking back at her. She smiled at me, not a smile she had ever shown before. It was almost like she changed her mind about telling me what she was going to say. I signed the check and paid in cash before helping Ilse into her sweater.

She dragged me to the ice cream and candy shop. I followed her around as she picked out various flavors of jelly beans and held my arm while she picked out ice cream. We walked around a nearby park. After a while, she curled on top of me as we looked up at the stars and she ate handfuls of candy.

"Ilse? I have something to tell you." I said holding my breath.

"Wait. I have something to ask you, too." She said.

"Ok, let's say it at the same time." I said, she nodded.

"One-two-three. I was asked to go on tour."

"What do you think about another baby?" We both spoke quick. Are statements were different but our responses were the same.

"WHAT?" We said at the same time.

"I don't think that is such a good idea, love." I said, wrapping my arm around her.

"I want to have as many kids with you as I can possibly bear."

"I understand Ils, but these are your years, you are 22 years old and already have 2 kids. We should wait a couple of years to try again."

"Ok, so what about this tour?" She asked me, dropping the topic of kids.

"It's going to be a road trip around the south part of America, lasting a year." I said.

"Oh David, that's wonderful!" She exclaimed.

"But," I hesitated before speaking again. "you cannot come along." I could feel her hold her breath. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay, Davy. I think I can manage." She stood up and grabbed my hand to help me up. "Let's go home, I miss my girls."